Question Every microphone not picking up voice and only outputs very loud static

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 5, 2020
Nearly two weeks ago this started. My microphone worked fine, an NW-800, but then just stopped picking up my voice and only output an incredibly loud static. I thought the mic died so I ordered a new one, an AT-2020, but it's doing the same thing. Both of these are XLR microphones so I tested with a wireless USB Bluetooth headset and the issue is happening with it also. I've updated, uninstalled and reinstalled all of my drivers and it did nothing. I've used Microsoft's troubleshooter and it just set the mics to default settings which did nothing. I've system restored to just about when it started and nothing changed.

I've checked everywhere on Google and no one has given any kind of answer to why this happened. The only thing anyone has thought is the sound card is dying, but I can hear audio just fine. I have no idea what else I could possibly try to fix this anymore.

Here's a recording of what the static sounds like. It seems that it only happens when the mic moves. I suggest turning your volume down.
https://voca.ro/5bRdaL0tHab

How did you connect the wireless USB Bluetooth headset ? USB bluetooth transmitter in the PC and the headset is connected to this?

Do you have a sound card or is it integrated on the motherboard? Which model is it? motherboard or sound card

Which software are you using?

Were the other microphones disconnected while trying the bluetooth headset?

Jan 5, 2020
The headset is connected by a specific USB bluetooth connector in the front panel.

I'm using integrated sounds on the motherboard which is a Gigabyte Gaming-3.

I've tried Audacity and Discord and both have this issue.

Everything is disconnected when I try using another device.

The initial issue has been resolved now, but a new one started. Nothing is detecting the mic works at all now. No sound at all goes into it. When I try to use it in audacity it gives an "error opening recording device. Error code 9999: Unanticipated host error." I've tried using every fix for this issue but nothing works. Windows troubleshoot just intentionally crashes audio services just to restart it which does nothing. I installed every update possible and checked for updates on all of the drivers and restarted.

The big thing I've noticed is that there is no tab in the Sound > Recording Devices panel when I try to use it. However, it just marks it under Realtek(R) Audio when it was working (but it displays the correct port that it's plugged into.) I've tested with both brand new cables for input and output and it still isn't detecting any sound input at all. However, the headset now is detecting input and isn't just giving static.

Jan 5, 2020
It seems the issue is fixed now. Not really sure what happened, but we replaced all the cords and switched from a 3.5mm jack to a USB output (not sure if this did anything, I don't have a second 3.5 output cable to test right now to know if it was the cable or my port,) reinstalled all of the drivers (again,) did a full clear of all settings of any programs that used my mic and it's being detected now and recording.

And I did have the privacy settings set to allow programs to use it and had turned my anti-viruses on and off when testing. Also, the troubleshooting Audacity provided didn't help either considering most of the solutions that were mentioned in their post I had already tried.

Overall, I think something may have been fried, I just don't know what exactly. Seeing that when I try to record in audacity when there's no power to the mic and I don't get the error, I don't really know what the issue overall was.

Status
Not open for further replies.