Excel conditional formating that contains text other than....

zon

Estimable
Mar 22, 2014
Hello,
I was wondering if there was a way to make a conditional format that contains any form of text other than "0" will fill the cell the color red and pull information from different sheets in the same workbook in excel. I want "0" to be no color fill.
Thank you!

Solution

Easily done in Conditional
J1vWJT6.png

Create a new rule
Range - whatever
Value Is Not Equal to - 0 and then whatever color scheme you want.

D4aUfrW.png
Yes, it is called VBA.
You create a programing script with that condition. Almost anything is controllable in VBA.

I have not done anything with VBA since office 2010, back then you could not have the program monitor a condition, you either had to manually press a button or set it to repeat itself every few seconds.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Easily done in Conditional
J1vWJT6.png

Create a new rule
Range - whatever
Value Is Not Equal to - 0 and then whatever color scheme you want.

D4aUfrW.png

Solution
Yes VBA may end up being necessary - depending on the version of Excel being used.

Newer versions of Excel (I have Excel via Office 365) have all sorts of built-in tools for logic and conditional formatting.

In Excel ,on Home Tab, is an option labled "Conditional Formatting".

One option therein is "Highlight Cells Rules" and that contains a menu drop down "Text that contains" rule.

Plus under the Formulas Tab you will find one labled "Text"and another labeled "More functions" with a menu drop down "Information"

Plus there are some logical functions under the Logical tab.

In many cases you only need to supply the necessary arguments or criteria to provide the decision making rule(s).

The Lookup & Reference Functions may provide assistance as well.

You may need to have two rules: one rule to do the color formatting and a second rule to pull the information.

First get the red "fill" to work and then the data pull.