Excel has stopped working

Vilmundur

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015
I have a problem which driving me crazy and I hope anyone can be able to help me.
I use Office 2007 prof. I have some necessary excel files created in old Office 2003. And whenever I am trying to load it in my Office 2007, Excel would be stop with the error :"Excel has stopped working".
I tried to open it in WordPad, and it works. But the problem is that I have not only data into spreadsheets. There are also charts, formulas and macros. Method with using WordPad recovered only the data…any ideas how can I restore entire files?

Solution
First of all try to copy corrupt files and verify can you open them on other machine or not. If you can, then save it with another extension. If you had .xls change it to .xlsx. And move the saved files back on your PC.
Another way is uninstall all add-ins if any.
Have you tried open&repair command? It might fix the problem.

Another recommended solution: if you was unable to resolve this problem through above steps then you should try any third-party software. Try this one - Recovery Toolbox for Excel – for instance https://excel.recoverytoolbox.com/ You can download the trial version to decide can this program help you in this case or not.

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
Does this only happen when you're opening the files that were created in excel 2003? Can you just open excel 2007 on its own? If so, try clicking the Office button in the upper left hand corner, then look for a "Convert" button. Click that then locate the old files and try to convert them

Kulomir

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015
First of all try to copy corrupt files and verify can you open them on other machine or not. If you can, then save it with another extension. If you had .xls change it to .xlsx. And move the saved files back on your PC.
Another way is uninstall all add-ins if any.
Have you tried open&repair command? It might fix the problem.

Another recommended solution: if you was unable to resolve this problem through above steps then you should try any third-party software. Try this one - Recovery Toolbox for Excel – for instance https://excel.recoverytoolbox.com/ You can download the trial version to decide can this program help you in this case or not.

Solution