Explain LCD speakers

derail43

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
I understand what LCD means, Liquid Crystal Display, it's been around for a long time. But, I don't know what an LCD speaker is, and can't find anything, zip, zilch, nothing about it on the web.
Someone please explain.

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
Presumably an LCD that has built in speakers. My monitor has two 1 watt speakers in it.

I like to keep up on silly technologies and I have not heard of such a thing. Actually oscillating a liquid crystal would be an interesting, if weak, way to make a speaker.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
There is no such thing as a LCD speaker to the best of my knowledge. There are speakers in some LCD (LED and CRT for that matter) monitors/displays, but those are just standard speakers (often of inferior sound quality because of their size).

Is there a specific product you are looking at?

derail43

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
Thanks for your thoughts guys. I suspect that all of you are right. What started me on the question was that I put a new graphics board in my PC, and it causes a high pitched squeal in my Peavey amp/speakers. I haven't found any way to fix that, so I decided to try the tiny "LCD" speakers that came with my PC, and - - no squeal! So, I thought maybe these "LCD" speakers were some kind of new technology that prevented the squeal, so I thought I might be able to get some decent speakers w/o squeal. Do a search for LCD speakers and you get millions of hits, but no explanation. The "LCD" speakers have a USB cable (I assume as a power supply) and a 1/8" plug that plugs into the same audio out that the Peavey was plugged into, so I now suspect that there's something about the PC power supply involved in the squeal.

derail43

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
The speakers are not inside the monitor. They are small, separate speakers. The label on the back of each speaker says "HP LCD speakers". At this point I am assuming that it just means that they are made to be used with a LCD monitor or LCD TV.