Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
Hi Everyone!

I just bought a laptop less than 2 weeks ago, its a

Toshiba Satellite P750/-2J
750 GB SATA Hard drive
4 gb RAM
1 GB Nvidia gt 540m

Im just wondering if its worth it to get a 2 year extended warranty (so its 3 years in total including manufacturer's warranty)

The extended warranty covers everything except accidents, which is ok for me.

I know Toshiba's laptops are so world renowned for their durability and reliability...but still...i saved a lot for this laptop and I am gonna use this everyday at college at the same time some moderate gaming.

Is it worth it for $160 USD?

Solution
3 years of warranty is a good choice to get, because chances are in 3 years, you can have some minor problem, which you would be able to fix yourself, but with warranty it's at no cost to you plus you can ask them to replace a few parts while they are at it. I've had a 3 year warranty on a dell laptop, 2 months before it expired the 1 keyboard key went dead, well guess what, since it was still on warranty they replaced: the cooling system, motherboard + everything that came on it, keyboard and palmrest. I basically got majority of the parts replaced for free.

long story short - yes it's good to have that warranty

AntiZig

Distinguished
3 years of warranty is a good choice to get, because chances are in 3 years, you can have some minor problem, which you would be able to fix yourself, but with warranty it's at no cost to you plus you can ask them to replace a few parts while they are at it. I've had a 3 year warranty on a dell laptop, 2 months before it expired the 1 keyboard key went dead, well guess what, since it was still on warranty they replaced: the cooling system, motherboard + everything that came on it, keyboard and palmrest. I basically got majority of the parts replaced for free.

long story short - yes it's good to have that warranty

Solution

upd@te

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

Yeah, I also think its a good deal. Right now, I'm a bit worried about my laptop. It works 100% fine, but it froze on me twice during the welcome/log in screen. Before I logged in, i pressed the wireless LAN enabler/dis-abler (as I wanted to dis-able it). I inputted my password and pressed enter...the circle loading thing just kept spinning..basically it froze. Waited for awhile then finally turned it off. It only happened to me when I pressed the wireless button though, without pressing it, it logs on just fine.

Is this a sign of a faulty machine? I mean..its brand new, and I checked the drives using ''chkdsk'' and it does not read any bad sectors. If chkdsk does not read bad sectors, its 100% sure my laptop is fine right? The hard drive at least..

upd@te

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

I got my extended warranty. Its 3 years in total! Yeah you are right, considering my laptop is a bit future proof (i7 quad core) and I got it at a good deal.

Thanks for your advice!!