extending the life of my desktop

Brally

Estimable
Oct 11, 2014
My old desktop browser crashes all the time and I fear the hard drive and RAM are just overtaxed. How can I extend the life of this old machine? OS is Vista.

PCIBUSDRIVER

Estimable
Oct 22, 2014
RAM is the first step, max your board out with quality ram, and maybe a SSD hard drive with fast read write as well (Check your compatibility with SATA 2 and up). That will assist the Processor in handling the current IE browser.

D_Know_WD

Estimable
Hi there Brally,

Changing the RAM may be a good idea. I would advise you to run a HDD testing tool in order to check out the HDD's overall health. If the drive is healthy, there may be no reason to get another one. If it is not though, you should back up all the valuable data. If the crashes are caused by the drive, it may die at any time.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD

Brally

Estimable
Oct 11, 2014
Way more complicated than I'm used to but will have to explore both these suggestions. They both sound good. Currently am backing everything up.

Where would I find an HDD testing tool btw?

(Thank you both very much)

Brally

Estimable
Oct 11, 2014

Hi - thank you for your answer. Where would I find any of this information? Any Idea who to take it to to get this done?

PCIBUSDRIVER

Estimable
Oct 22, 2014

You can see the make and model number on most motherboards in two places. When the system boots up (If your quick) it will post it on the bottom of the screen. Also, inside the case, stamped in much larger letters but a laptop is simple, just provide the make and model of the laptop and don't open the case.

From this information you can look up details on the motherboard including expandability and upgrade options. The forums can help you find this. As far as installing ram and a new compatible hard drive? there are tons of videos at youtube . Its easy to install this things. Cloning your system to a new upgraded SSD drive is simple as well if you use the software that comes with the drive (You can download it from the Manufactures Website) I know most of the name brands offer this software (Seagate, WD)
http://www.seagate.com/do-more/laptop-sshd-upgrade-master-dm/

Brally

Estimable
Oct 11, 2014