External drive password without encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 17, 2018
I have a USB drive that's used to backup my 'live data'. I have heard of malware that will encrypt all attached drive so I would I'd like to give the the backup drive some extra protection. Encryption would slow down the backups so I'd like to simply have a password to protect against this type of malware.

I could simple take the drive off line but I think password protection would work.

1. Would it work?
2. How to do it?

Thanks

Solution
Most encryption blackmail attacks only take data from drives which are in a mapped network. I've worked on several where just being a drive and not mapped has saved the data on those drives.

There's nothing safer than a regular external backup which is stored in a fireproof box. That way you can reinstall Windows after such an attack then import your files back into a clean system.
Most encryption blackmail attacks only take data from drives which are in a mapped network. I've worked on several where just being a drive and not mapped has saved the data on those drives.

There's nothing safer than a regular external backup which is stored in a fireproof box. That way you can reinstall Windows after such an attack then import your files back into a clean system.

Solution
One backup is not enough - - you need a second one containing another copy of those backups and stored safely away - - I keep three copies of my data on three separate external HDDs. If malware strikes any one of them I just reformat it and restore the data from one of the others.

No good relying on a password to stop malware accessing a drive anyway -- it won't stop it at all. Just don't have any backup drives connected to your PC until you actually need to use it. Then disconnect it immediately when finished with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.