External GPU for non gaming, non Display Link, multi monitor solution for work laptop

trankdog

Prominent
Apr 27, 2017
I'm a programmer stuck using a work laptop which I can't modify too much. Has anyone tried using an external gpu solution for running multiple 4K monitors in a non graphical programming environment? I'm tired of the flaky Display Link solutions always breaking on me and was curious if I'd have any bandwidth issues trying to run multiple 4K monitors off an external GPU in a primarily Visual Studio type environment. Anyone have any opinions on this?

Solution
If you will be using an external GPU to connect another monitor you will have a cable sticking out of the case, unless you happen to have an express card slot available. Sounds like you need to talk to your work about getting a system that will do what you need it to. A business class system with a docking station.
If you will be using an external GPU to connect another monitor you will have a cable sticking out of the case, unless you happen to have an express card slot available. Sounds like you need to talk to your work about getting a system that will do what you need it to. A business class system with a docking station.

Solution