External Graphics GPU

Duuuuude

Commendable
Jun 8, 2016
SO i have a Asus Zenbook and a older Dell laptop and my dad who works at Nvidia ca get me a really nice graphics card. But I obviously have nowhere to put it. What are my options cause I know that I can get something like the XG station or DIY. I would prefer o DIY but to buy a product to let me play next gen console games. What can I do?

Solution
Yeah, if you want to console games then buy a console 'cuz they not going work with a PC / laptop.

As for the GPU itself. The best thing to do is build a PC around it. Maybe your dad can get you a PC for Christmas.

An external case to connect the GPU to a laptop? Well, they are expensive, and generally most are proprietary to a specific brand. The Alienware Amp can only be used with Alienware laptops, MSI has one, but I do not know what it is called and it only works with MSI laptops.

There is the Razer Core... it is unique in that it can be compatible with any laptop that has a Thunderbolt 3 port, but support for non Razor laptops is hit or miss at this time. The Razer Core is available for pre-order so it has not been officially...

k1114

Distinguished
XGS2 uses proprietary asus connection or thunderbolt 3 and you don't have either. The other ones use thunderbolt (usb type c cable of tb3 or older tb) which you don't have. Older ones use expresscard which you don't have. You have no commercial options.

Well no laptop will play "console games". But you can build a desktop PC for that video card. Can't really use one with a laptop, you may be able to hook one up with a PCIe adapter but those run at 1x speeds so will bottleneck any card past the low end ones. And then you are looking at having this thing hanging out of your laptop with an external power supply, not a very good setup.

Yeah, if you want to console games then buy a console 'cuz they not going work with a PC / laptop.

As for the GPU itself. The best thing to do is build a PC around it. Maybe your dad can get you a PC for Christmas.

An external case to connect the GPU to a laptop? Well, they are expensive, and generally most are proprietary to a specific brand. The Alienware Amp can only be used with Alienware laptops, MSI has one, but I do not know what it is called and it only works with MSI laptops.

There is the Razer Core... it is unique in that it can be compatible with any laptop that has a Thunderbolt 3 port, but support for non Razor laptops is hit or miss at this time. The Razer Core is available for pre-order so it has not been officially released yet. However, the kicker is that the case costs $500.

If you wanna play console games, then that $500 is better spent on the console rather than an external GPU case.

Solution

will221996

Estimable
May 29, 2014

This might be a little late but as everyone else says you can't play console games on PC but you can play PC games with better graphics.

If you go on eBay and type egpu it should come up with £400 or whatever that is in USD(x1.3) and then under that you get ones which are just green PCBs with PCIe slots and cables. They should be like £15 or the USD equivalent (x1.3). They with either connect to your computer using pcie gen1 or express card. Short of opening up the laptop and taking the WiFi card you can't get PCIe gen1 but the older dell may have express port. You will also need a PSU which in the US Of A should not be to expensive (something like 300w Antec Basiq). All together it should cost like 50 dollars maybe a bit more. Hope this is helpful. If interested I can give more pointers