External hard disk not detected

santosh26

Commendable
Sep 27, 2016
Hi Guyz,
I have the external hardisk(Transcend) of 1TB. Recently when i plug it into my laptop USB port the hard disk is not detected ,ie its not showinng up in my computer ,its not in disk management. In device manager , other than that the hdd is not detected and also the led on hdd does not come on. and when i connect to other PC's & laptops am getting the same problem..If anyone can tell me the problem here ty

Solution
Hi there santosh26,

That is really unpleasant. :(

You've done some decent troubleshooting though.
One more thing you can try is to attach it with a different cable.
If the issue persists, then I believe you have a couple of options:
- Just RMA the drive, in case it is under warranty.
- Contact a data recovery company, if the data stored on it is really important. It seems that the enclosure is recognized but not the HDD inside. (showing up under Device Manager but not Disk Management). In that case, you will not be able to access the drive with software tools. You can try though.

Let me know in case you have some more questions,
D_Know_WD: )

D_Know_WD

Estimable
Hi there santosh26,

That is really unpleasant. :(

You've done some decent troubleshooting though.
One more thing you can try is to attach it with a different cable.
If the issue persists, then I believe you have a couple of options:
- Just RMA the drive, in case it is under warranty.
- Contact a data recovery company, if the data stored on it is really important. It seems that the enclosure is recognized but not the HDD inside. (showing up under Device Manager but not Disk Management). In that case, you will not be able to access the drive with software tools. You can try though.

Let me know in case you have some more questions,
D_Know_WD: )

Solution