Solved! External Hard Drive Not Recognized on VIZIO E Series TV

Nov 28, 2018
Recently purchased a 1TB WD Easystore external hard drive to store movies on (MP4 files). When plugged into the USB port for my TVs (VIZIO E Series - E65-E0 from 2017 & an Element LED TV approx. 3 years old), the files cannot be played.

The VIZIO TV recognizes the hard drive but none of the files are visible to play. And the Element TV states "No Device Recognized".

Does anyone know of a specific hard drive format or file type that these TVs may need? I read through the manual on the VIZIO TV and there was zero information on the USB port.

Thanks for your help.

Solution
I am looking at THIS MANUAL, it has a CDN on the URL so it maybe the Canadian model, page 30 is dedicated to USB and it specifically says USB used for thumb drive only, wants FAT32 formatting. It specifically says only for photos, and no hard drive, smartphone.

This is typical of TV USB ports, they are not fully-functional PC USB. TV's USB tend to be limited functions.
I am looking at THIS MANUAL, it has a CDN on the URL so it maybe the Canadian model, page 30 is dedicated to USB and it specifically says USB used for thumb drive only, wants FAT32 formatting. It specifically says only for photos, and no hard drive, smartphone.

This is typical of TV USB ports, they are not fully-functional PC USB. TV's USB tend to be limited functions.

Solution