External Hard Drive/Photo Gallery

C71352

Estimable
May 24, 2016
I accidentally sent data from my external hard drive to my photo gallery. There is a huge amount of data and the data is not in folders; each item sent over to the photo gallery is individual. How can I get this data all at once back into my external hard drive? The data went over in one click of a button. I appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

Solution
Open up the Photo folder in file explorer. Along the top, right-click one of the file data fields (name, type, size, etc). In the pop-up menu will be an option for "More...". Click that.

You'll get a new dialog box allowing you to add all sorts of new data fields for that folder. Enable one which might be able to help you distinguish new files from freshly copied ones. I'm not sure exactly how all of them work, but maybe date archived, or date created, or date last saved. You're gonna have to play around with different ones until you find one whose timestamp corresponds to when you accidentally copied the files over.

Assuming you find one and add it, then all you then have to do is click on that field in file explorer to sort...

canadianvice

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2012
Do they have something unique about them? Perhaps a written date? Try and find something unique. Did they cut or copy (are they still on the drive?)

If you can get that there is a quick and easy solution. If you can't, well... have fun.

Open up the Photo folder in file explorer. Along the top, right-click one of the file data fields (name, type, size, etc). In the pop-up menu will be an option for "More...". Click that.

You'll get a new dialog box allowing you to add all sorts of new data fields for that folder. Enable one which might be able to help you distinguish new files from freshly copied ones. I'm not sure exactly how all of them work, but maybe date archived, or date created, or date last saved. You're gonna have to play around with different ones until you find one whose timestamp corresponds to when you accidentally copied the files over.

Assuming you find one and add it, then all you then have to do is click on that field in file explorer to sort all your files and folders by that field. From that point it should be trivial to see which files were copied recently vs which have been there a while.

And are you sure you did a move when you sent the data from the HDD to the photo gallery? The default operation is to copy, not move. So the files should still be on your HDD. All you should have to worry about is cleaning up your photo gallery to remove the files which don't belong.

Solution