External Microphones not detected in Windows 10, Conexant SmartAudio HD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rishibroto1006

Commendable
Aug 9, 2016
Hello,

I have a Lenovo G50-70 laptop with Windows 10. The audio driver is Conexant SmartAudio HD and the latest version available on Lenovo's website is 8.66.27.55. This latest version is installed on the system

The Laptop is unable to detect any external microphones connected to the system via the 3.5mm jack. However, it detects any external speakers connected via the same jack. Both the microphone and the speaker share the same 3.5 mm jack.

I have tried a number of troubleshooting steps, but in vain. I have listed the steps below and look forward to your kind help in this matter. The steps I have taken to resolve this are as follows:

Uninstalled all audio drivers in the system and re-installed the driver from Lenovo's website.

Disabled all audio enhancements.

Reset Entire Windows 10 Operating System, updated the operating system using Windows Update and then re-installed the drivers.

Tried with a number of other microphones to ensure the microphone isn't faulty.

Despite all these steps, It's not resolved. I look forward to you to kindly help and resolve this for me. Will be grateful to you.

Solution
I do not think the problem is the audio chip itself, perhaps the problem is simply a connector on the motherboard that is loose and makes poor contact. You have a small PCB with the card reader, USB port and plug for audio, which connects the three with a connector on the motherboard.

rishibroto1006

Commendable
Aug 9, 2016
Unfortunately, the driver vendor is Conexant and not RealTek. And similar options are not available with this driver version.

They share the same jack, but the microphone goes to an input and the speakers go to the outputs of the sound chip. They are not connected the same way to the sound chip.

I am at a loss. The only other thing I can think of is the input just isn't made to work with a microphone. Sadly I have heard of some laptops having this issue, but not on a Lenovo. Until now that is. The issue being the jack they install doesn't work for a an external mic, of any kind. Perhaps they have installed a similar port in yours. Making it only usable for headphones/speakers.

rishibroto1006

Commendable
Aug 9, 2016
That's right. But how come the internal microphone is working fine?

rishibroto1006

Commendable
Aug 9, 2016
I understand. But what's the solution now?

rishibroto1006

Commendable
Aug 9, 2016
Since my laptop is under warranty, should I insist on Lenovo to replace the sound card/motherboard?

You can try contacting them about it. Although if they are like other companies I have seen, they may not do anything as this seems to be the route some are taking. Figuring most won't want to use an external mic on a laptop. Couldn't hurt. If you pester them they may change it for you. I hope they will.

I do not think the problem is the audio chip itself, perhaps the problem is simply a connector on the motherboard that is loose and makes poor contact. You have a small PCB with the card reader, USB port and plug for audio, which connects the three with a connector on the motherboard.

Solution