External monitor and external speakers

Lonzo

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
Have Acer 5740 laptop with 25" I-Inc external monitor. My Bose external speakers will not work while the HDMI cable is connected to the laptop - the monitor takes over and plays sound through its little speakers. I need to use the monitor as a display and the Bose speakers for sound. Can I disable the sound going to the monitor so the external speakers will work? If so, can you tell me how? Monitor had line in but not line out. Laptop has earphone jack for line out.

Lonzo

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
Thanks Guys. My buddy went into control panel and fixed it in a minute. Compatibility issue or something I assume. Anyway it's working great. Boonality, I appreciate the response but my new laptop does not have a VGA connection so I can't use the VGA to HDMI cable that came with my new 25" monitor and I don't want to use VGA anyway because I want my new monitor to have a digital signal to work with. I've read a little about DVI but I don't know that I want to go there or at least spend the time to find out how. I was just glad my buddy knew what to do. Neurofeedback/Biofeedback programs look great on it now with exceptional sound for a $250 Bose system.
Thanks again for looking to help. It makes the world go 'round, as they say.

mechknight

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Old thread I know, but since I just ran into this problem and finally figured out what to do I figured I'd share for others. Your buddy was right, the setting is in control panel, specifically you will want to go to "sounds" and then right click and disable your monitor from the list of output devices. This should allow your headphone jack to send out audio.

Ohiocorn62

Estimable
Mar 9, 2015

I am trying to watch MP3 movies on a screen via Inspirion laptop connecting it to my Epson projector to project image on screen via hdmi cable. However, my Bose external speakers plugged into the audio of the laptop don't work and will only work when I pull out the hdmi cables, but then the movies don't project onto the screen any more. It worked at one point a few weeks ago, now it doesn;t work. Anyone can suggest a fix?

Hasan Jaber

Estimable
Jun 2, 2015

Hasan Jaber

Estimable
Jun 2, 2015
hey , i was having the same problem on my Dell laptop and my Realtek Speakers when connecting them to my 50'' LCD so , i solved it by doing the following :

1. went to control panel
2. open "Sounds"
3. on the dialog box main tab ... it was showing that my LCD speakers were the default ones , so i have switched it to my Realtek Speakers, >>>>>>> and that is it ,,, PROBLEM SOLVED :)