external monitor goes blank when laptop is closed

Abby_4

Prominent
Aug 9, 2017
When I close my Dell laptop my external monitor goes blue. I have already changed the power settings to "do nothing" when lid is close. What else can I try?

Solution
This is a company computer? If so go back and check your power settings again. Did they reset back? If so your company is pushing a policy that enforces it, mine does that for "power savings".

robert600

Distinguished
I've noticed that changing the existing power plan doesn't always work. I have no idea why not.

I have more success when I create a new power plan - maybe try that? If that doesn't work, maybe in your reply you could mention what windows you are using ... 7, 8.1, 10?

JamesSneed

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Can you provide the laptop model and Windows version?

If you haven't done so Dell has a community support site I would hit it up as well: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/

You may even be able to find your answer there searching for your laptop model etc.

JamesSneed

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
This is a company computer? If so go back and check your power settings again. Did they reset back? If so your company is pushing a policy that enforces it, mine does that for "power savings".

Solution

robert600

Distinguished
One of my laptops still has win7 as an os. I've been messing about with it. I've connected it via hdmi to my tv, changed the 'what to do when I close the lid' to nothing.

Here's what I've noticed - if I use windows + p and set the display to 'projector only' - then closing the lid doesn't seem to have any effect on the tv display.

However, if I set the display to 'duplicate' and then close the lid - the tv screen goes dark for about 5 seconds before reappearing and it fits the screen a little differently then it did before closing the lid.

So ... I'm not sure how you're displaying prior to closing the lid ... but maybe try the 'projector only' setting if that's not what you are already doing.