External sound card for laptop and TV monitor

jonisin

Estimable
Jan 21, 2015
Current Set up
Dell laptop (Latitude E6530) Windows 7 64bit professional.
Samsung Smart TV Monitor (TD390S). Used as a TV and external monitor for laptop. Connected via DVI to HDMI cable via Dell Replicator which doesn't have HDMI. Could also use HDMI to HDMI if going direct from laptop HDMI

My Aim

Connect an external sound card to laptop via USB (not yet bought, see below)
Connect my 5:1 speakers to the sound card using its three 3.5mm jacks
Connect my TV Monitor to the sound card via the optical SPDIF output out of the TV and into the optical SPDIF input of the sound card.
I would like to improve the sound of the laptop and also improve the sound when I use the TV monitor as a TV.
I would also like to connect my Cassette player to the line in so that I can convert them to MP3 using Audacity.

I am thinking of buying either

Terratec Aureon 7.1 USB External Stereo Sound, Sound Card £38.43 (Amazon)
This also has an SPDIF output but not sure if I would ever use it.

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB External Sound Card with SBX. Was £69.99 now £35.99 (Amazon)

Questions
I presume the sound will work coming from the laptop but will the TV monitor also work.
If it does, how will I control the sound coming from the laptop or TV monitor.
The downside is that I presume I would have to have the laptop running when I wanted the sound from the TV Monitor.
Any pros or cons of the two sound cards mentioned.
Anything else I have missed.

Solution

Creative makes a decent sound card in my opinion so I would personally go for it.

jonisin

Estimable
Jan 21, 2015
Thanks for replying.
This is the Amazon link to the Terratec sound card I was referring to and is an external one.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Terratec-Aureon-External-Stereo-Sound/dp/B0046Y59SO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1421860840&sr=8-2&keywords=terratec+external+sound+card

The reviews of the Sewell are mixed, likewise for the Startech, Sweex and Sandberg version which all appear to be the same unit under different names.

The Amazon link for the Creative external sound card is below
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-Sound-Blaster-Surround-External/dp/B00FJMQ4C2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1421876757&sr=8-2&keywords=creative+external+sound+card

sora

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

Creative makes a decent sound card in my opinion so I would personally go for it.

Solution