External speakers not working with Acer ZG5 Netbook

Janet Hudgins

Estimable
Jul 27, 2015
I bought speakers for this but they don't seem to be recognized as the internals are still working, nothing from the externals. I looked in the Audio icon for clues but didn't find anything to toggle, change, etc.

Appreciate your help.

Solution
You should be able to just move the window a bit if you can't see what you need to. If not, attach a monitor to it and use that. You should be able to just right-click on the speaker icon and get to the sound properties that way and check the playback device. If you can set it to the speakers then do that, but the default should have been that the laptop automatically switched to them one plugged in.

Janet Hudgins

Estimable
Jul 27, 2015

There must be a driver or something as I finally found the Hardware and Sound category, obviously just what I need, but I can't use it as the screen resolution is too low--a common problem with this Acer. Is there a way to overcome this?

You should be able to just move the window a bit if you can't see what you need to. If not, attach a monitor to it and use that. You should be able to just right-click on the speaker icon and get to the sound properties that way and check the playback device. If you can set it to the speakers then do that, but the default should have been that the laptop automatically switched to them one plugged in.

Solution

Janet Hudgins

Estimable
Jul 27, 2015

Janet Hudgins

Estimable
Jul 27, 2015
Thanks for your help. I have it working now. Obviously something I didn't do, or a combination. It's great to have you guys taking up the slack for these companies. We owe you but they owe you royally.