Extremely slow after shutdown

jarrobi

Prominent
Nov 8, 2017
Hello all! So I have an asus rog laptop with windows 10, I’m not quite sure of the exact model as it’s too slow right now to check. But basically the battery is staying at a constant 0%. That’s not really the issue I think because it seems as long as I keep the charger in it works just fine. Well two to three days ago it unplugged and instantly died. Upon restart it took forever to boot to the desktop and now it’s extremely slow to do anything. I can’t click the windows logo to go to any settings. I can’t use the search bar at the bottom of the screen. And when I opened security and system settings the whole page was a blank white.

I tried to hit f11 on restart but that didn’t take me anywhere. I can’t seem to make it do a back up as I can’t open the settings to get there. And I’m really not trying to do a full system restore as I have a lot of photos I really couldn’t stand to lose. What can I do? Could it be the battery sucking power? It says 100% of the CPU is being used but no program is using more than 0.01%

Solution
Try starting it up in "Safe Mode" and see if you you can then do things. Granted, in that mode there are limitations to what you can access, but if the laptop will let you do more than it is now, and let you into the settings, then there is probably something on the device that is running when you aren't in "Safe Mode". Virus, malware, bad application, etc. You would have to then remove what ever is the cause and that should allow it to run normally again.

How to enter "Safe Mode" when booting the computer.

In Windows 8 and 10...

As your computer restarts, press F8 (possibly a few times) to enter "Safe Mode"

a. Press the "F4" key to Enable "Safe Mode".
(The computer will then start in "Safe Mode" with a minimal set of drivers and...
Try starting it up in "Safe Mode" and see if you you can then do things. Granted, in that mode there are limitations to what you can access, but if the laptop will let you do more than it is now, and let you into the settings, then there is probably something on the device that is running when you aren't in "Safe Mode". Virus, malware, bad application, etc. You would have to then remove what ever is the cause and that should allow it to run normally again.

How to enter "Safe Mode" when booting the computer.

In Windows 8 and 10...

As your computer restarts, press F8 (possibly a few times) to enter "Safe Mode"

a. Press the "F4" key to Enable "Safe Mode".
(The computer will then start in "Safe Mode" with a minimal set of drivers and services.)

b. Press the "F5" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Networking.
( Once "Safe Mode" with Networking starts, Windows is in Safe Mode, with additional network and services for accessing the Internet and other computers on your network.)

c. Press the "F6" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Command Prompt.
(In "Safe Mode" with "Command Prompt" starts Windows in Safe Mode, with a Command Prompt window instead of the Windows interface. This option is mostly only used by IT professionals.)

Now sign in to the computer with your account name and password. (If you have one set.) When you are finished troubleshooting, you can exit "Safe Mode" restarting your computer.

In Windows 7/Vista/XP...

1. Immediately after turning on the computer, or restarting it (usually after you hear your computer beep), tap the F8 key, repeatedly, in 1 second intervals.

2. The computer will then display hardware information and run a memory test.

3. Next the "Advanced Boot Options" menu will appear.

4. In the "Advanced Boot Options" menu use the arrow keys to select "Safe Mode" or "Safe Mode with Networking" and press ENTER.

Solution

jarrobi

Prominent
Nov 8, 2017
MERGED QUESTION
Question from jarrobi : "PC slow and unresponsive after restart"

Hi so I have an ASUS Rog laptop, I’m not sure the model as it’s so slow and I can’t check. But basically here’s the story:
The battery on it doesn’t work at all, continually at 0%. Whole that’s not good it’s not necissarily the problem. I haven’t had issues with it before but sometimes the charger unplugs and the whole computer instantly shuts down. Just the other day this happened and upon rebooting the computer was extremely slow. I couldn’t open and tasks I couldn’t even go into file explorer or settings.

I got advice to put it into safe mode which I did and it worked actually quite fine. I ran my antivirus (malwarebytes and avast) and they detected nothing. I tried to defrag my computer but it wouldn’t let me in safe mode. I tried to do a system restore while keeping my files and it failed at 30%. I checked the program that allows me to look at critical errors and other error messages and I saw that a “Disc drive had a bad block” type of message that appeared a lot over the couple days the computer has been messed up.

I’m not really sure what else to do? I can’t afford to bring it to a technician so close to the holidays. Is there anything I can do to fix this myself without deleting all my personal files? As I have a lot of photos here ivcoulsnt bear to lose.