FAA Finally Ditching Old-School Radar for GPS

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
[citation][nom]caedenv[/nom]If GPS was going to make prices fall then they would have switched to it years ago.[/citation]

Nah, you should see the equipment they run at the not as busy airports. Still from the 80s. No joke. you can take a tour and they'll gripe about it.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
I'm wondering how long it will be before the Iranians hack the GPS and a plane ends up in their side of the Atlantic (like they did with that drone). ;D

jcaulley_74

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
Tom's is getting really bad about misleading titles on their articles. I've been working in radar for almost 20 years. There are 4 types of radar that are currently in use in the US. NEXRAD (weather radar) is the system that watches for wind shear, down drafts, tornados, storms, etc and this system does not replace NEXRAD. PAR (precission approach radar) is the system that guides approach aircraft down a glideslope to the center of a runway. Many of these systems have already been replaced with ILS and TACAN systems and the ones that are currently in operation aren't affected by the new system. Search Radar is the traditional radar system that pushes RF out, bounces of the plane and returns. These systems are not affected by the new system either. Beacon (IFF/SIF) is the last system and it sends a series of pulses to an aircraft which receives them and then transmits its own response back based on the type of interrogation. This is the system that is being replaced by the new ADS-B. Beacon and ADS-B are cooperative systems that rely on the aircraft to properly push their information out so that everyone knows where they are. This is the system that the 9/11 hijackers disabled to go mostly undetected. After 9/11 we have spent a great deal of money refurbishing and modernizing all the old search systems since they are non-cooperative. The US will not be turning off it's radar systems anytime in the near or distant futures.

fixxxer113

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
"Overall GPS should help conserve fuel which may in turn lead to cheaper tickets for consumers."

Funniest thing i've heard in a long time... When will companies stop trying to convince us that they care about us?

If it wasn't for several plane crashes with multiple fatalities, we would be still flying in huge firetraps with no emergency exits...

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]I'm wondering how long it will be before the Iranians hack the GPS and a plane ends up in their side of the Atlantic (like they did with that drone). ;D[/citation]
You don't really know much about this, do you?

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
why are we working so hard to increase air traffic... we have among the worst rail systems of any country, that is why we rely on air so much. I really would prefer building up our railways before worrying abotu our failing air industry (yes i know our rail industry isn't doing very well btu its such a old system imagine being able to hit a bullet train and go a few hundred mph for a trip plus it'd help aleviate highways with shipping. As for the airtraffic. ... imo the gps is a good thing for the air industry, but the private unmanned drones part is not good for anybody

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
[citation][nom]mcd023[/nom]Nah, you should see the equipment they run at the not as busy airports. Still from the 80s. No joke. you can take a tour and they'll gripe about it.[/citation]
I've been using one from the 60s. Breaks daily.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
[citation][nom]LORD_ORION[/nom]Are you F'ing kidding me?Radar is hardened not to fail... not as accurate as a GPS, but next to impossible to fail.I can't wait to see what happens the next time an X class flare takes down the GPS network. :\AlsoAir traffic controllers are already overworked, now you want to have them handle more planes?[/citation]
I can't get enough out of this with just 2 comments..
I worked at a radar facility at an air force base, and I can tell you from experience that they fail all the time. Wind affects them, weather affects them, temperature even affects them.
How many times does a random flyby happen and it drops an X-class flare over our nation? Because I have not heard of any. Chaff happens sometimes accidentally, and that affects the radar just as much.
This system will ease many of the terribly stringent laws of ATC in effect, decreasing workload. I know the .65, and I know the changes that will be made for an integration of a GPS system.
And all you who are saying, "Oh, there's gonna be gps jammers all over the place!" REALLY? I think I'll go to ebay and check out how much I can buy one for, then I'm going to see how much a radar jammer is and get that until GPS becomes the norm...
No, I'm not expecting this comment to show for long, but some of you just talk out of you arses for no apparent reason.

g13man

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
of course air traffic will increase - with the world population
but doesn't the military control the gps
and make it less accurate commercially during times of war
so the enemy can not use it
ok i will leave now
mines the invisible jet pack in the corner
hold on
so you can find it I'll turn on it's gps

Status