Facebook causing Chrome to "drop internet" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gibsonstu

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
Hi all, im hoping someone can help me. This is on a desktop with windows 10, hardwired to modem.
As of today ive hit an issue that i just cant figure out with my limited knowledge, so im hoping someone with more expertise can help me out.

My internet is fine, everything works. I can play games or sit and browse websites for as long as i like, until i load facebook.
Upon loading facebook, it shows the very first news feed but everything below it and to the sides of it are in a loading state as below image:

Tv0tcR5.jpg

If i dont close the page within a few seconds, it will cause my internet to not go offline but be unable to load absolutely anything. All webpages will time out or say no connection, and games will not allow me to log in. All other devices on the net are fine so its only my PC and only after i attempt to view facebook. If i try switching from chrome to edge after this happens, its just the same, wont load anything.
Restarting the PC resets it and it works again, until i attempt facebook in which case it happens again.

Can anyone help?

Solution

It probably mean it block a javascript or something from downloading. Once it loaded, re-enabled wouldn't matter

gibsonstu

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
happens no matter what browser i use, and im not sure if changing password would help but i cant stay on facebook long enough to do it before it drops and i get DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET

No other webpage makes this happen, only facebook

gibsonstu

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
watched a video which walked through command prompt to reset/renew/flush etc dns
i put the dns back to default on router and changed adapter dns to the google ones, still same problem every time i open facebook.

i just dont get it

gibsonstu

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
Its like, i go on facebook it loads for around 1 second (i get the very first newsfeed) then stops completely leaving the widgets at the side and the newsfeed below in the loading state, and if it let it sit there it will cause it across all websites and game connections. i can even go to facebook.com, close it, try to go back and it wont load, but will load again for that 1 sec if i try again after 5 minutes. feels like something is blocking it and shutting me out of everything after 10 sec or so.

I havent changed anything or downloaded anything since i was on facebook yesterday, as i live overseas and hop on to keep in touch with my family. I have avg and superantispyware running.

gibsonstu

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
Well i think i have fixed it?
I randomly started disabling things and trying facebook, and as soon as i disabled AVG, facebook loaded
not only that, its still working with it re-enabled.

strange, but hopefully this thread can help someone in the future who gets it. hopefully it stays fixed lol

rgd1101

Don't

It probably mean it block a javascript or something from downloading. Once it loaded, re-enabled wouldn't matter

Solution

Avast-Team

Estimable
Mar 3, 2017

Hi everyone, our support team is aware of an intermittent issue with the web shield component that has been reported by some Avast/AVG users, and is investigating this as we speak. I'll also post to the main forum so everyone is aware that this is being addressed. OP, we're glad that the issue has been resolved for you -- I recommend that anyone else experiencing this issue checks to ensure that the latest updates are installed, and also to try temporarily disabling/re-enabling shields to see if that quickly resolves the issue as it did in your case.

Thanks for your report!

Nov 13, 2018

Sorry this has happened to you but thank you so, so much for posting your issue because the same exact thing happened to me a week and a half ago and again today but on two laptops I have. I thought it was a computer issue a week and a half ago and had to reset to factory settings to get it to work right again, but the same thing happened again today and I thought it was the laptop until I went on my other laptop and logged onto Facebook. I knew there was a connection to the Facebook and the crashes and now will not use Facebook on those two devices. I also have Avast (free version) installed on both laptops but to be honest, I'm too scared to test the waters even if the issue has been resolved by Avast. I'll just stick to using my tablet for Facebook for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.