Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg Speaks Out Against SOPA

Status
Not open for further replies.

anonymous32111

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
I doubt he really cares either way, idk I just get the feeling he is saying that for positive attention, it seems bit late to announce where you stand when others are already participating in boycotting the legislation.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
yay... FB late to the party, and taking a very reserved/somber position over it. Typical.
A FB blackout would have been HUGE in terms of anti-SOPA push. but no, Zuckerberg didn't want to lose some of the sponsors to whom he sells public information. So, you have this low-moderate statement and that is it.
I think Zuckerberg is the one who deserves the middle fingers mentioned in the beginning of the article.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
[citation][nom]anonymous32111[/nom]I doubt he really cares either way, idk I just get the feeling he is saying that for positive attention, it seems bit late to announce where you stand when others are already participating in boycotting the legislation.[/citation]
I think the only reason he made a stance is because everyone else keeps buzzing about it and wanted Facebook to take a stance on the issue.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
THE GUY AND HIS FAKEBOOK IS THE OTHER HALF OF THE DESTRUCTION OF THE INTERNET....A LITERAL CLEARINGHOUSE FOR EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU .
FB IS AN ORWELLIAN MONSTER

Nakal

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
No matter your feelings toward Facebook, or Zuckerberg, at least note that Facebook has been against SOPA for quite a while now.

Also, like them or hate them, they are at least a powerful voice against SOPA, and anyone against SOPA is a good guy right now... at least in my humble opinion.

G

Facebook is the C.I.A.'s wet dream....

Follow the money you may raise an eyebrow...

cpatel1987

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
So just because Zuckerberg didn't blackout Facebook, his well constructed and pretty strong stance against it is considered "mediocre" to the author of this article? Somebody has a biased opinion of Facebook and the founder. I'm not fond of the guy either, but really? Oh well, Tom's Hardware authors aren't exactly notorious for being neutral anyway.

Socialdisorder

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
Actually Facebook took their stance long before the majority of the public even knew what SOPA/PIPA was. And he also did the right thing by not taking down facebook. Why on earth would you want to censor over 500 million users, so they can express their concern and negativity towards the bill. Remember last year when the Egyptian Government ordered Facebook to be taken down so the government could launch its Koo? Piss off a few people and know one hears, make a 100 million facebook users pissed beyond belief, someone notices.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]chumly[/nom]Stealing movies is wrong, but stealing everyone's information is ok.[/citation]

They can only take what you volunteer to them.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
meh, if facebook blacks out, they lose advertising, if they dont and it passes, they are out of business, not because we stop using it, but because they cant keep facebook the same and not lose most of their users.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
For being a techie I'm quite surprised Mark doesn't follow tech conventions and capitalize Internet when referring to "the Web". -Sorry, it's just the geek in me. Guess I just naturally understand the technical distinction between the Internet and an internet.

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
It should be a non-issue. Current copyright laws protect copywritten materials already.

SOPA just expands the commie powers of the ruling class giving them the authority to shut down or censor anything they want to without just cause. Obama's already begun the process. Anyone in the press who speaks out directly against him loses their job.

As the world becomes increasingly indebted to the Chinese, we will see the commie philosophy begin to pervade of our lives. This all in the name of short-term profits for executives.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
[citation][nom]chumly[/nom]Stealing movies is wrong, but stealing everyone's information is ok.[/citation]Stealing movies is wrong, but stealing a concept for a brand new social network 8 years ago was ok.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
Facebook didn't need to blackout like wiki did but they should have done something rather than nothing. Make it known what SOPA/PIPA will do to our internet of which Facebook is a huge part of (albeit one I don't use). Facebook should have gotten info moving, switch some of the ads and crap with anti-SOPA/PIPA especially considering if either bill gets passed Facebook could be in trouble.

I'm just saying that Facebook doesn't seem to be active enough to stop something that could destroy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.