Facebook COO Says The End of Email is Near

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

delazaren

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
When the "big shots" announce statements like this they are most probably just plainly wrong! Shows how little they understand the world around them. Then again self-interest probably makes them utter statements like these.

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
She's just imagining a day when we all run our lives on Facebook. Sorry you dumb bitch but I won't be following you into a world run by Facebook.

Furthermore, even as a teen, I always considered email very much the official way of communicating online. I never use it to keep in touch with friends. I have GTalk, MSN, Skype, AIM, texting and phone calls for that (no Facebook chat for me, no Facebook messaging).

Even now, in my early 20s, I still consider email a way to subscribe to websites, to get my account, to define my identity, and to be a common way to log in to most modern websites (Beats OpenID/FB Connect to me)

I'll continue using email for a way to interact with more official people/bodies than myself. I'd never use it to communicate with someone on in my social arena though.

Fox Montage

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
Where I work, we've transferred almost completely to twitter-based communication. Publicly sharing every internal communication is the way forward.

This just in, taxes and death may also be a thing of the past...

MU_Engineer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
Of course she says the end of e-mail is near, one of the features of her company's product is a non-e-mail communication system. What do you think she is going to say, "E-mail is what people who do Real Business use, Facebook messaging is for kids?" No, she wants to try to get more people to rely on her product and draw in more customers.

Her saying that e-mail is dead is like DirecTV saying terrestrial TV is dead or Microsoft saying Linux is dead. She's hoping for the "if we repeat it enough, people will believe it and it will come true" outcome, but in reality, e-mail is going nowhere as it fulfills a specific need of communication. We still have terrestrial radio despite decades of TV execs saying radio is dead and people still have landline phones despite pundits declaring them dead. After hearing decades of "X is dead," I've come to realize that the people that make those statements are almost invariably idiots.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Email will disappear. Of course:

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home," Ken Olsen, founder of mainframe-producer Digital Equipment Corp., 1977.

"No one will need more than 637 kb of memory for a personal computer—640K ought to be enough for anybody," Bill Gates, Microsoft, 1981.

I just love future technology predictions don't you:)

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
This, is coming from anyone in Facebook? Ok let's all believe it. Lol, what an idiot. Oh yea, paper is going to die. Email is going to die. Calculator is going to die. Landline phone is going to die. Right.

jednx01

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
Email isn't going anywhere. For important stuff, email is still the way to go. I don't know anybody that posts important stuff on facebook in a business setting...

twu

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007
How do they get online order confirmation.
And HP and Google trying to implement printer using email address accounts. LOL.. Such a BS.

G

So what do Facebook employees do to communicate in the office? Facebook each other? Ms. Sandberg, you are a moron.

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
[citation][nom]Kevin Parrish[/nom]What teens do now doesn't actually define what they'll do later when they're adults.[/citation]

PWNED! ....so STFU Facebook!

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I personally want e-mails to be implemented on phones - as as native system, replacing SMS. SMS is too limiting, especially with English. Users in East Asia (Korea, Japan) already enjoy 10,000 character limits and each handset has an email address associated with it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.