Facebook Gave Out Access to Millions of User Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTPAHHIK

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
Was not the first, will not be the last time it happened. Do not store any private info on Facebook. Everything on internet is public.

nukem950

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
And people say I should use facebook a lot more. They do not care about what people see or know about them. I kinda do.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]CTPAHHIK[/nom]Was not the first, will not be the last time it happened. Do not store any private info on Facebook. Everything on internet is public.[/citation]

This is unfortunately true. People have no idea how public their info really is. Even worse how just a small amount of info can lead to the grand picture.

I did a experiment with a random picture of a young lady. This woman is a stranger to me and is not a celebrity of any sorts. From that picture alone I was able to reverse image search it, find more pictures of her and more personal info as I went along. I ended up with her full name, her general area, her boyfriends full name, her normal hang out spots. It lead me to her friends and family. I know what her job is and where she normally goes to, to do her job.
I even know what middle school she attended. Her whole life was just mapped out in-front of me and this only took me a single day to find everything.

This was just a experiment but I fear that because it is so easy those who have malicious intent
could easily randomly find someone online, stalk their info leading to them, and then actually doing harm to them. There are a-lot of crazy people out there and these people can become easily obsessed with even a complete stranger. There is more of a danger to the internet than just identity and credit card theft. I urge people for the security of yourself, your friends, and your family that you keep as much of your personal information private as possible.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
Security is where google might have a chance against facebook. Google gathers data for itself, does not want others to get and use those data. Google will use those data to target adds and similar, and has enough experience so far to protect data leaks, at least better than facebook. But facebook has the compelling UI for ease of use, too easy for my tastes but maybe not enough easy for my dad who sees a prompt for user and password, wherever it is, and puts e-mail and password there.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
And this is why i don't like the idea of Cloud Computing, no system is completely safe and then its better to have the information individually than collect it all in one basket like psn!

Aravind Aarumugam

Distinguished
May 11, 2011
[citation][nom]hjigfds09g[/nom]welcome to: http://www.famalegoods.comThe website wholesale for many kinds of fashion shoes, like the nike,jordan,prada,****, also including the jeans,shirts,bags,hat and the decorations. All the products are free shipping, and the the price is competitive, and also can accept the paypal payment.,after the payment, can ship within short time.free shippingcompetitive priceany size availableaccept the paypalhttp://www.famalegoods.comjordan shoes $32nike shox $32Christan Audigier bikini $23Ed Hardy Bikini $23Smful short_t-shirt_woman $15ed hardy short_tank_woman $16Sandal $32christian louboutin $80Sunglass $15COACH_Necklace $27handbag $33AF tank woman $17puma slipper woman $30http://www.famalegoods.com[/citation]
Shut the fuck up!

Toms get an better spam system :|

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
Face, we are becoming the Borg. One collective. No personal info. Even if you don't use facebook, there are lots of other public info such as tax records and such out thtere. Look yourself up on spokeo.com

retrphe

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
[citation][nom]hoofhearted[/nom]Face, we are becoming the Borg. One collective. No personal info. Even if you don't use facebook, there are lots of other public info such as tax records and such out there. Look yourself up on spokeo.com[/citation]

Ugh I hate Spokeo. You can only delete two entries per email. I had to setup numerous junk email addresses just to delete it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.