Facebook in Legal Trouble Over Virtual Currency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turk021

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
The kids are using the parent's credit cards or online login information to buy things? Doesn't sound like the fault of the companies

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
apple had no leg to stand on, those apps are designed to take advantage that kids are useing the devices...

facebook, not so much... you have to go onto your kids account and put your credit card in... apple is one decide for family (if you arent rich), facebook is 1 account per person, you have to ok the kids account for purchase, and after than, its you own stupid... dont want sanction... es fault.

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
[citation][nom]jellico[/nom]Is there no such thing as personal responsibility anymore?[/citation]
You are talking about responsibility of the 13 year old child?

garyshome

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
Well if she would interact with her children and pay them some attention instead of giving them a Facebook binkey. Well I need some crap reason to sue Facebook! Anyone have any ideas?

G

apple had no leg to stand on, those apps are designed to take advantage that kids are useing the devices...
Hardware.gif

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Alternate password protected purchasing seems like a no brainer, parents (or anyone) should be able to set a second password to prevent accidental/unauthorized purchases.

It's a wonder this isn't exploited more fully by criminals to make money... Build a bogus app, hack facebook accounts, then buy your app with their money.

bavman

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
[citation][nom]MxM[/nom]You are talking about responsibility of the 13 year old child?[/citation]

I think he was talking about the responsibility of their parents. Its not FB's fault if your child takes your credit card to buy stuff. It should be the responsibility of the parent to make sure that it doesn't happen without their knowledge.

supall

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Why are people acting like credit cards are harder to swipe from a Mom's purse than the cash in them? I'm not defending the Mom, but when all the information you need to submit a payment is Credit Card info + address, you're set.

SRRAE

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Its plain and simple.

Did you allow your child to use your credit card?
Yes? It's your fault deal with it.
No? It's theft. Call the police or deal with it.

When I was younger, I wouldn't dare use any card of my parents.

digitalrazoe

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
This is not Facebook's fault ( or apple's far as that goes ) Parents don't talk to their kids now as they did back in the day. When game consoles came out my mom would not allow them in the house. I did, however, get my first computer. I had to learn to PROGRAM if I wanted to play anything remotely considered a computer game! when the Internet first picked up I did get into trouble with long distance charges to remote servers. BUT I was learning and we DISCUSSED the responsibility of accessing such information. This generation is so oblivious to what's happening that there is no clear cut way to control it other than GET ACTIVE Parents. It's not any portal/website's fault. The blame starts at home! deal with it!

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
In the case of in-app purchasing, there is a point. The app is advertised to be free, but the purchasing takes place within the game. All the standardization for showing the actual price then goes out the window. To me, this takes away from even showing the price on the front-end when there can be an infinite recuring cost out of the backend. Maybe there needs to be a symbol on the front (such as a +) to indicate that the app includes in-app purchasing. Or even some way to show the max amount that can be charged in this way, that way consumers get a truthful picture of what they are paying.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
When i was a kid, i got disciplined for doing stupid things. Now the parents blame others for their child's actions. So now we have to wait for the kid to grow up and learn discipline from Jail university.

Cy-Kill

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
"Then again, making Facebook credit or Apple in-app purchases requires an adult’s credit card."

Actually, that's not true in Facebook's case, you can buy credits by mobile phone or land line, no need for a credit card!

junixophobia

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
who put the credit card in the kids facebook profile? oh no they have to have their parents approval to have a credit card purchase.

So why did it the parents blaming facebook?

reminds me of that person who sue a coffee shop for getting burned in the hot coffee or that woman whose cat died because she put it in the microwave....

Status
Not open for further replies.