Facebook Launches Antivirus Marketplace; Android Updated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
i look at these people who go and pay for the Norton and I shake my head... Microsoft Security Essentials is a great product, but as usual, Microsoft is horrible at marketing its products.

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Not even MSE is perfect. Paid antivirus software is always going to be better than free antivirus software thats a given. I wouldn't go with Norton personally but as a paid service they do offer quite a bit of options that free ones do not give. Granted almost 99% of normal users will not touch any of those advanced options, its still nice to have. Free antivirus is still great in many ways, its just not as good as paid for antivirus.

G

Best anti-virus = common sense! I have not used AV for years and years - I just don't go anywhere silly or open any suspicious email. And I cannot even remember my last virus it was that long ago

dotaloc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
[citation][nom]terrytanker[/nom]Best anti-virus = common sense! I have not used AV for years and years - I just don't go anywhere silly or open any suspicious email. And I cannot even remember my last virus it was that long ago[/citation]
i clean my share of malware infected computers (generally, rogue security software) and 90% of them have some type of antivirus...over 50% of those are relatively up to date. since AV software almost always defers to the user's request, it is unrealistic to expect them to stop infections we invite onto our computers.

that said, if our av software prevented us from infecting ourselves, we'd all complain (rightly so) because it prevented us from doing what we wanted.

for that reason, i think you are correct. to be fair, common sense is not quite as effective (although still a big help) at removal. rather, it's a much better preventative.

nitto555rchallenger

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
So Facebook gets a "Like" for selling user data off to security companies to help its users to get a free copy of antivirus software that they could get for free themselves if they just look for it? Sounds like a lose for those who actually updates their antivirus definitions daily, but a win to the careless computer illiterates out there.

the_brute

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
I almost wish Anonymous actually did take down Facebook, im tired of hearing about it. but this is almost a nice attempt to help. wonder how much FB is being paid for this advertisement.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
how ironic, lol.....facebook....what are you doing to the people....do these so called security endorsed software have any open holes?....i think so...sad :(

uruquiora

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
[citation][nom]terrytanker[/nom]Best anti-virus = common sense! I have not used AV for years and years - I just don't go anywhere silly or open any suspicious email. And I cannot even remember my last virus it was that long ago[/citation]
then you are prolly a bot without knowing it :)

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
I wish Google would step up (like Microsoft did with Security Essentials) and release their own Security. I believe Microsoft MSE is better than the "paid" competition. It is very non-intrusive and has kept my friend's and family's computers safe. Microsft has more at stake as they are wearing egg on their face when they tout their OS as secure and it gets hit by various viruses, this makes perfect business sense for them to make it free.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
i don't understand why people say this is better because you pay for it

that's not always the case

signiture based antivirus programs don't really help with new virus's

permission based anti-virus programs are better but the user needs to know what is safe to allow and what isnt

even though permissions bassed is safer most people find it annoying and would rather have to clean there pc's of viruses so often

Status
Not open for further replies.