Facebook May Lead to Psychological Disorders in Teens

Status
Not open for further replies.

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
The negatives outweight the positives. There's teens who don't even wanna get off the damn facebook anymore to socialize in person. If it wasn't for school most teens in this era wouldn't be getting out of their house at all

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
I think the problem for kids and technology is that they are never forced to unplug from it. In the old days, kids would go home and not have to deal with constant teen drama until the next school day. Now they have cell phones, Internet, SMS, and IM, even on vacation.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Trust me, they'll get over it. In due time. When they grow up and it allll starts to make sense, they'll be the ones enforcing rules on their children. Trust me.

beenthere

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
Don't almost all teens already have psychological disorders and that's why they are on FB to begin with? FB, Tweeting and cellphone addictions require electrical shock therapy to cure. The current therapy starts with 250,000 volts @ 200 amps. It seems to be pretty effective.

K-zon

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
To say at anytime that this is a probelm no more then probably any for any other social site, may ask a question of something wrong, other then that to say rather of any ideas of that for anything else that might find its place within interest to be within questionable interest is probably a subjective and perspective interest if not.

Of though would be anything of just that of rather or not that of use of anything find a better interest for what that would be and to say what is isn't of good interest is anyones guess to say, since alot is at times but of times is not, yes?

Otherwise what would there be to listen to the most for what anything would be of interest rather of any interest at all, but to have something to say or even do as well too?

But to make most of interest for one, almost takes away any interest for it at times, but where the most of it made at then, for any interest if any at all?

Worry otherwise seems the issue, and what interest is that really for an idea of interest? Hard saying or telling really that is for sure probably more then not. But if not then of something hard saying or telling probably is. Something just have more an interest then others at times, rather even someone or not as well. I don't know really though, but for sack of comment, I don't really have one sometimes.

Fans of social sites are that of millions, millions, millions. Of it though, I don't get, cause with whats said already for the fact of them, probably has something to say even on my part without use of it or them, whichever.

But again, anything to say of interest on interest for interest is hard saying or telling alot times of not just sometimes, and maybe not at all, but probably is subjective and perspective more then not. Till then I don't know, of whats news and nice to use is something to work with, for probably carries many unknowns for many knowns. Or none. I don't know, probably shouldnt, or should.

And in terms of unplugging, what would you say to do then of not "plugging" in. I wouldnt know sometimes either, probably could "chat" all day sometimes, but what would there be to chat about?? Might as well use the mail anymore.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Not possible. There has to be an innate state for someone to have a psychological disorder. All environmental factors can do is push what is already there over the stressor limit.

And yes, I have a degree in social psychology.

pirateboy

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
i think it's the other way round....people who are drawn to facebook are crappy individuals to begin with...facebook is not the cause.....i don't want to insult moths, but they are like moths to a flame

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
@pirateboy:

I'm not going to say these people are crappy, BUT it's clear that they crave some kind of attention that they can't get in normal face to face relations.

Of course I detest Suckerberg with a passion.

drumsrule786

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
If used correctly facebook can be great. For me its a quick and easy place to organize events and e-mail people. I am younger and I've noticed more and more people are checking their e-mail less and less so its nice send someone a message on facebook and actually having them reply. But of course if I were to check it multiple times a day for half an hour at a time that would be bad.

Pawessum16

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
Wow...so this is where everybody who isn't on facebook is presiding on the internet? I personally think of facebook as a tool for making it easier to communicate with friends and family. Who said you had to put your whole life on there? Just think of it as advanced email and usenet combined except you can filter out the crap-o-la you don't care about.
I also agree with bak0n's point about psychology, Facebook didn't cause the disorder, the disorder was already there, and some BS statistician decided to do some skewed research that created results to his liking. Also, about students being distracted...well duh...and in my experience with being distracted, it doesn't matter what it is, if it's facebook or just something cool in the wood grain of my desk, being distracted is more of a matter of choice. In our society too, distractions are everywhere, but deciphering between what is a distraction, and what is an everyday necessity is a matter of opinion between observers and the person committing the "distraction".
Maybe an article should be made on how distracting Tom's Hardware is, I think I've wasted about equal time on here as on Facebook when I should have been doing other things (and watching movies, tv shows, playing video games, reading a cool article on the web, in the newspaper, in a magazine ....the list of distractions goes on and on). Pick your poison.

pirateboy

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
[citation][nom]legacy7955[/nom]@pirateboy:I'm not going to say these people are crappy, BUT it's clear that they crave some kind of attention that they can't get in normal face to face relations.Of course I detest Suckerberg with a passion.[/citation]

haha ok...crappy isn't the right word....but whatever they are...they prolly need help

power hungry

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
So all this study really says is that Facebook causes the popular kids with the popular friends feel better about themselves and the rest want to be like them. The ones that do not fit into any group are considered anti-social and prone to aggressive manic behavior. Sounds like life in high-school to me. So where is the problem? At the end of the article it sums up the solution quite well, it has nothing to do with the media, it is all about the parenting.

distanted

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
[citation][nom]bak0n[/nom]Not possible. There has to be an innate state for someone to have a psychological disorder. All environmental factors can do is push what is already there over the stressor limit. And yes, I have a degree in social psychology.[/citation]
That's swell...are my fries done yet?

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Facebook, myspace, IM's. All anti social. I know this one girl if there isn't a keyboard in front of her she wouldn't know how to interact with you to save her life. She has the social skills of a rock. I still don't buy facebook as needed to keep in touch with people. I'm sure no one has forgotten about the phone by now. At best talking to people on that useless garbage of a site makes you a pen pal.

eiskrystal

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
So, people that are narcissistic make big FB prescences...well i'd never have guessed that.

That something which is distracting and naturally disrupts your school work leads to lower grades is also pretty damn obvious.

So FB is the latest boogy-man blamed on poor school grades rather than the appalling state of our education system that leaves children so bored and uninterested they need constant distractions. Yawn...

Status
Not open for further replies.