Facebook Now Valued at $85 Billion

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
How does this work?

$85 billion divided by 643 million members means $132 per member. How could the stockholders get $132 of value for each member?

iam2thecrowe

Distinguished
i never understood facebook and still dont understand it. myspace was the same thing, yet that died off and everything was all of a sudden about facebook. hopefully there is some lawsuit that kills off facebook because i hate it, my wife spends too much time on it.

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
[citation][nom]iam2thecrowe[/nom]i never understood facebook and still dont understand it. myspace was the same thing, yet that died off and everything was all of a sudden about facebook. hopefully there is some lawsuit that kills off facebook because i hate it, my wife spends too much time on it.[/citation]
There's one overwhelming difference. Myspace was a piece of crap, design wise. Each individual's page was cluttered with horrible music (trying opening 5 diff. users pages at once, you'll hear terrible convergence of music), and their own background which were often loaded with terrible colors/patterns that made any updates or information virtually impossible to find without going blind. Facebook's pages are designed with uniformity and ease in mind. It's simple to navigate and you know generally where everything is on everyone's page. Like facebook or not, it's your personal preference. As for me, I got on facebook when it was only limited to college campuses only, so all my friends/social network is on there.

G

virtual home? meaning people spend too much time on facebook? hah

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]john5246[/nom]LMAO $85 billionin 5-10 yrs kids will be like "huh, what's facebook"[/citation]
why is everyone saying this? what makes you so positive that facebook is going to go the way of myspace?

it has gained more traction that any other social network in existence. it has the attention of every company everywhere. companies advertise and market on facebook, and use it to connect to many many people. it's not going anywhere, i'm sorry if that fact breaks your heart.

twitter, on the other hand, might.

kewlx

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
maybe these spams should die out soon would be nice if i didn't get this shit everytime i go to post and have to scroll through spam like it was bramble

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
face book is a load of crap, but damnit when it goes public im putting all my money into it, its one of those things that EVERYONE will invest in, and if i can manage to get some shares early on i can cash out when it settles down at 5-7X what it was originally worth, and hopefully coast the rest of my life living off the stocks.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I'm still thinking that facebook shouldn't be worth anywhere near that at all. For god's sake, its just a place where bored housewives and university students troll together...

G

[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]I'm still thinking that facebook shouldn't be worth anywhere near that at all. For god's sake, its just a place where bored housewives and university students troll together...[/citation]
Is it? Is it really?

Odd. Seems pretty instrumental for my family between the UK and Australia to keep in regular touch. Seems pretty crucial for me to be able to keep up with my friends back in my hometown and arrange to get together. I'd say it was pretty vital during university to keep in contact with my seminar members and throw links at each other to useful articles for our dissertations.

Do open your eyes.

potatolord

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
$85bn seems an awfully high valuation, especially when you consider the profits it currently makes.

It will be intersting to see whether they can ever extract meaningful amounts of money from users. It will also be exciting if the EU decides to go after face book, as they did wih MS.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]iam2thecrowe[/nom]i never understood facebook and still dont understand it. myspace was the same thing, yet that died off and everything was all of a sudden about facebook. hopefully there is some lawsuit that kills off facebook because i hate it, my wife spends too much time on it.[/citation]

do her more often :) or change the wife

Status
Not open for further replies.