Facebook Paid $715 Million for Instagram

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxwarlock

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
Even if the stock value was $0 now compared to when they got it $300 million was too much to pay for it.

I mean really..3/4 of a BILLION dollars, for a photo website?

metro2003

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
I don't get it. $194 + $300 = $494. what happened to the rest up to $715. Someone's walking around with $221 in their pocked !

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
So they didn't actually pay $715 million for instagram, they paid $300 mil. They also gave them stock, something Facebook didn't buy, pay for, or have to work for.

I love how business types create money out of thin air, no wonder the economy's in trouble.

webbwbb

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
[citation][nom]ddpruitt[/nom]So they didn't actually pay $715 million for instagram, they paid $300 mil. They also gave them stock, something Facebook didn't buy, pay for, or have to work for. I love how business types create money out of thin air, no wonder the economy's in trouble.[/citation]
They had to work quite hard for it actually. That is giving them ownership of a portion of Facebook. Its like saying that if someone gave you land and materials to build a house and you went through the whole process of building it, then sold it, that you were making money out of thin air without working for it.

Alphi

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
Its like saying that if someone gave you land and materials to build a house and you went through the whole process of building it, then sold it, that you were making money out of thin air without working for it.

that's not how it works at all.. stock deals aren't taking any stock away from anyone they just print more stock i.e. make more stock out of thin air.

its like saying "hey everyone grab a hand full of dirt and throw it in the ocean.. ah now we've made more land that we can give to this guy"

each persons land dimensions remain the same.. they are all just devalued slightly because they took some dirt away from it to make new land.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
[citation][nom]webbwbb[/nom]They had to work quite hard for it actually. That is giving them ownership of a portion of Facebook. Its like saying that if someone gave you land and materials to build a house and you went through the whole process of building it, then sold it, that you were making money out of thin air without working for it.[/citation]

To use your house analogy it's like me spending $100 mil buying land (IP) and building a suburb (website). Then I loan you a house (stock) so you can do some work for me (Instagram). Then I say I paid you $500 million because that's how much the house is worth. See the problem now?

In fact it makes even less sense because the amount paid varies depending on the day, season, mood of the shaman etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.