Facebook Rumored to be Thinking of Buying Opera Software

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
Oh and one other thought, Opera, one of the few browsers not in the pocket of the FEDS, nuf said. inyourface Facebook is already in bed with the Obama regime.

ashinms

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
I'm pretty sure it's hogwash. Seems too "upsetting". Just the kind of thing to get people all riled up over. Like Intel buying Nvidia. I don't see them selling out to Facebook, more likely a company that has experience in writing *real* software, and not web scripting.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Opera is far from being the "best" browser out there..... Being bought out is the best thing that could ever happen to that POS browser. It's market position pretty well proves that point. Being at only 1.76% market share after more than a decade is pretty pathetic....hell, took them more than a decade to finally get to 1% market share...

I wouldn't expect to see any company, especially Facebook, develop a new browser "from the ground up" at this point. IE was originally based on the old Mosaic browser. Firefox is based on Netscape's Gecko engine. Chrome and Safari are both WebKit based browsers. There's hundreds of WebKit and Gecko based browsers floating around now. Nobody in their right mind would waste the resources trying to develop an entirely new browser "from the ground up" at this point.

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
WTF? Why would i want to use Opera then? Facebook is woarse then google and likes to spy on everything. Can't facebook just come up with their own web browser? people use Opera to get away from bloat ware. Ioera is the only decent web browser left not contaminated by greed.

ashinms

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
I'm pretty sure it's hogwash. Seems too "upsetting". Just the kind of thing to get people all riled up over. Like Intel buying Nvidia. I don't see them selling out to Facebook, more likely a company that has experience in writing *real* software, and not web scripting.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]So please facebook... if you buy Opera, take care of it. Their tech staff is top-notch, there is NOTHING wrong with the technology. The reason they are last is because their business is making a BROWSER. MS bought IE to add to their OS. Apple made Safari so they wouldn't rely on IE or Netscape - it matches their ideals. Chrome, created by the Juggernaut Google to have better hooks into their own apps. Opera and ff are the only stand-alone browsers on the market.[/citation]

Microsoft didn't buy IE. IE was originally developed by MS using portions of the Mosaic codebase (open source). Firefox is based on the Gecko engine created by Netscape Corp 15 years ago. The first Firefox release was actually a branch of Netscape 6.... Google and Apple both used the open source WebKit to create their browsers.

BTW, Safari, Chrome and FF are all "stand-alone" browsers. None of them specifically require additional software to run.

yannigr

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
Opera can make a useless old 5+ years old java phone, a pretty nice mobile device for rss and limited browsing. I am not even talking about smartphones where it works even better. I hope FB to stay away from Opera. I don't expect anything good from FB.

G

IF Facebook is considering buying Opera, I think its not to have a general purpose desktop browser, but to help them in the mobile space. Opera has the best browsers in mobile AND Facebook is struggling to build a native facebook application on the various mobile devices. The marriage will give Facebook the ability to have a native mobile application (a skin on the Opera browser) that they can use to deliver a better mobile experience as well as a way to start to monetize facebook users that are using mobile, more and more

amdfangirl

Distinguished
Herald
Apr 7, 2008
[citation][nom]yannigr[/nom]Opera can make a useless old 5+ years old java phone, a pretty nice mobile device for rss and limited browsing. I am not even talking about smartphones where it works even better. I hope FB to stay away from Opera. I don't expect anything good from FB.[/citation]

From this day forth it will be known as Facebloat browser. Complete with full Facebook tracking and extra ads to drain your mobile internet. :D

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
why is everyone is complaining?....i am sure that Opera let Facebook owners know that they are up for sale....there are to many browsers out there...what we need is quality, not quantity

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]Best is a subjective thing when it comes to browsers, it is very personal so no Opera is not the best just the best for you. I do not like Opera I have tried it and just do not like it I always have preferred Firefox (and yes I have tried all the major browsers as well as some smaller ones) so for me Firefox is the best.[/citation]
And yet you had to quote my ENTIRE text to make your point? You can EDIT your quotes. Here is an example:
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]This could be both a GOOD thing or a bad thing.Opera *IS* the best browser out there... it may not be the fastest, but its feature set and ease of use while having lots of options makes it the best.[/citation]
See how that works?

You are right, the best browser for you... its based on our needs. ff for example, doesn't save webpages correctly, never has - never will. Its tabbing is up to Opera standards, but they have caught up in many ways - so has IE. The features in ff4/ie9 are Opera features from 4~2 years ago. Those who love PLUG-INs, by all means - should love ff... I can't stand the constant bickering with ff about plug-ins and its updates.

ie still has the WORST interface out of everyone... so little tab space.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]Oh and one other thought, Opera, one of the few browsers not in the pocket of the FEDS, nuf said. inyourface Facebook is already in bed with the Obama regime.[/citation]
And then you made sure you sound like an idiot.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]koga73[/nom]Opera is the best browser hands down... I cannot stand Facebook. I will stop using Opera if Facebook buys them[/citation] Lets see what happens. As I stated, facebook can do GOOD or BAD. If you are using Microsoft - they have info on you. If you are using iOS, apple has info on you. MS's has a business package called office365 in which they HOLD company information... *IF* Microsoft is looking at such data - they will be in trouble.

*I* do not have a facebook account... I have NO need or desire for a facebook account. I'll go chrome if they mess with Opera. A bad example would be "In order to use Opera, you must have a facebook account" - would require me to remove Opera.

But facebook MAY be able to grow the Opera market share from 1% to 15~20% who knows... Looking at everything - Opera is stagnant because it not owned by a BIG company.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]Microsoft didn't buy IE. IE was originally developed by MS using portions of the Mosaic codebase (open source). BTW, Safari, Chrome and FF are all "stand-alone" browsers. None of them specifically require additional software to run.[/citation]

Bzzz. Wrong! (pasted) The first version of Internet Explorer made its debut on 16 August 1995. It was a reworked version of Spyglass Mosaic, which Microsoft had licensed, like many other companies initiating browser development, from Spyglass Inc. MS has paid over $8million to Spyglass. For the most part, they bought it - worked on it a bit, stuck on the MS logo and called it their own. Its no big deal... its how MS generally operates. (MS-DOS, MS-Word, etc). IE3 was their first own browser and is when I went to IE. *IF* MS was using Open Source - they wouldn't have paid a dime for it, eh?

IE has been offered as standalone as well (Mac version). Opera is stand-alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.