Facebook Sued Due to 'Like' Button

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I really don't care about facebook, sued it for millions, and killed it with a final blow by producing my own social network, then be sued by Zuckerberg. The life cycle of American business.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
What kind of company would sue over the thumbs up? What kind of world are we living in? Facebook should change it to the middle finger, lol.

I just checked the calendar to make sure it's not April Fool's Day. Between Rembrandt and Fish, something was beautifully fishy.

Not to mention the first sentence. Read it again. It says that features of the site have joined the suit and are suing Facebook, if you read it real fast. At least, that's how I read it. I thought that the like feature was suing Facebook. Maybe I should go get some sleep.

Cons29

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
man, they really should fix these. patents should be something innovative, something that required research. not some shape or gesture that is common to nature or is part of everyday life.

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
Facebook is a social networking site. One of the most basic elements of social interaction is to either "like" something, or "dislike" it (of which disliking something can be passively assumed by the lack of liking it).

Creating a social site that's based off rudimentary social interactions and not offering the ability to make others aware that one "likes" their friends content would make the website incomplete, and this functionality is implied by the nature of the site.

This is quite stupid.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
so, basically someone came up with the whole facebook system 5 years before face book, patented it, and than facebook used those patents as an example in their system...

you know, this is a case where i hope the troll wins, because they had everything, a competitor came by and more or less said great idea, we want it too.

abbadon_34

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
If facebook wasn't synonymous with "likes" then I'd say this is BS, but since it MAKES MONEY off the number of "likes" and people sell "likes" there may be something to this, considering he files a patent years earlier before the patent system was changed from "first to create" to "first to file"

eiskrystal

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
I have to side with FB on this, just because the idea of patenting a thumbs up is stupid and this is just another case of patents being abused.

Flying-Q

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
Everyone seems to be missing the point. It is not the 'thumb' that is patented but the software behind what it does. If Facebook has 'borrowed' that software then they are liable. It does seem as though they are as the article refers to them quoting the original patent in their own filing and therefore, acknowledging its existence.

Status
Not open for further replies.