Facebook to Acquire Up to 15 Companies in 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

jskilnyk

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
Someone answer me this. How big can a social networking site really get? I like Facebook but, I really wish they didn't change past just social site.

K-zon

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Idk not myself honestly in terms of socail sites and the sizes they can become to be. Given of it it seems more of an interest o have a Social system of use other then actually being a social site to say as defined within of being a social site, if that makes any sense. And given of it the purchase of companies on the services probably of social sites to include within more of a network of services in one service. So socially speaking can be more useful in extend social activities. Given of course its used more then that and with it more means to cover other socials means as well.

Like take the ads in comments for example, even though it is that tomsguide is say adviretising site, when it comes to getting information for anything in relation to whats on the site to some means of know how or not, where do you go and what do you look for?? Is the ad within comments even relevant to it? Why cant the ad in question just be more of a useful ad in something that is being looked into about it, instead of being here?

That might be the question of the intial first post, which of course does contain something or some part of bogus. But what can you say when you need stuff, and money goes around. But to the point saying of it at least should of been said of using just a search engine on such ideas. Who knows why things work they way they do. But of it at least is things of interest at least to some part. And with it a growing Facebook service.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]jskilnyk[/nom]Someone answer me this. How big can a social networking site really get? I like Facebook but, I really wish they didn't change past just social site.[/citation]
A similar question I have (with the same answer) is this: Why does a business that already has a well designed and fully functional website need a facebook page? What information or functionality does a facebook page offer that the companies own website can't?

Answer: Familiarity and a consistent user experience. Basically I see facebook as trying to become the world-wide-web, within the world-wide-web. Remember AOL? Yeah, kind of like that only now it is "cool" instead of lame. In order to do this they will need more than social networking alone. Mark wants you to log into facebook and do everything from within his website or what I predict will become a network of websites. You heard it hear first, folks.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]A similar question I have (with the same answer) is this: Why does a business that already has a well designed and fully functional website need a facebook page? What information or functionality does a facebook page offer that the companies own website can't?Answer: Familiarity and a consistent user experience. Basically I see facebook as trying to become the world-wide-web, within the world-wide-web. Remember AOL? Yeah, kind of like that only now it is "cool" instead of lame. In order to do this they will need more than social networking alone. Mark wants you to log into facebook and do everything from within his website or what I predict will become a network of websites. You heard it hear first, folks.[/citation]
No doubt about it. Many sites were created with this very intent, AOL (as you mentioned), Lycos, MSN/Live, Yahoo!, etc... How many of those sites even still exist, much less are important players in the world today?

Facebook overtaking the internet has been creeping up for a while now, and its due to the mentality of their users. If you already have one tab open to Facebook, who has the time or energy to open a second tab to visit some different website? I don't use facebook, but I wouldn't be surprised if they integrated tabs into their own site, so you could open multiple facebook pages in one window or tab of your web browser (they may have done this already).

Heck, people are so lazy they install widgets into their WEB BROWSER, that display their facebook information. I mean COME ON, the web browser will already show you your facebook information, all you have to do is visit facebook.com, but no, even that is too much work for today's average internet user. Instead, TomsGuide will actually down-rate a web browser if it does NOT have the best widgets for updating your facebook status from the sidebar, instead of having to use the tab you already have open pointed to facebook that you're playing Farmville in.

Add into this the continued problem of online identity theft, fraud, and nigerian business scams, and I seriously think we should be licensing people to use the internet. It's a privilege, not a right, and people more and more are convincing me they are not deserving of that privilege.

doped

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
first, stupid spam, fix filters or something.

second, a company will only get as big as it's users/consumers/buyers allow it too. why is the mainstream so ignorant on this subject! *sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.