Facebook Valued at $70 Billion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leopardos

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
Wow , I would sell it and live my LIFE , and open a store which its gain would be 1000$ monthly , i just dont care , at least to keep working "Alittle" ( to get not bored )...
And do monthly sales , 1 month free and 1 half price :D Would be fun :D

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
If you watch ads on TV you start to see a trend, instead of the blurb followed by the website address at the bottom of the screen you see the Facebook logo.

Facebook is slowly becoming the defacto place to have your webpage, the same way all vaccuum cleaners are Hoovers, all search engines are Google and all MP3 players are iPods.

Once a billion people are on Facebook and it starts to push more services all it needs to do is gently nudge in a particular direction and it could bulldozer through anyone, lets just hope they don't go "evil"

SpadeM

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
70 bilion for a company that in the end doesn't help feed u, shelter u or provide anything of real value to humans. They're basically not producing anything palpable or of worth yet they're valued at that inflated sum ... almost seems like we're back in 2008 when property value was waaay high and then it all came crumbling down.

fyasko

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
soo, the only thing they do is data mine? people willingly give up every tid-bit about themselves, just so a website can turn a profit? in today's world information>$... i don't have facebook because i don't want to take part in handing over my info just so they can turn my profile into $...

fleeb

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Facebook is slowly becoming the defacto place to have your webpage..."[/citation]

It used to be Geocities. Ahhh the memories. :p

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
All this tells me besides the artificially over inflated price is there are allot of narcissists out there who for some reason have to post their lives for everyone to see.

tomrippity02

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
One of these days numbers will come out that put everything into better perspective... What do they consider an "active user"? How many of those active users actually use the site daily and how many of the users are the ones inflating the usage statistics?

Currently, all we can do is take Facebook at its word.. their word isn't worth 70 Billion to me. Not when there are companies like Google out there who are actually making the world a better place and turning a profit at the same time. I'm with a previous poster that companies this valuable should be more life changing.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
"Back in January, Goldman Sachs invested about $500 million in Facebook based on a $50 billion valuation. If we go further back in time, Facebook was valued at $12 billion based on a $240 million investment by Microsoft in October 2007, at about $550 million based on a $27.5 million investment by Greylock Partners in April 2006 and at about $100 million based on $12.7 million funding Facebook received in May 2005 from Accel Partners. Facebook has received a total of $2.34 billion in funding so far and is expected to record revenues of $2 billion this year."

Wow-- good investments.
In less than six months Goldman Sachs turned $500M into $700M. That is about 7% per month. not bad.
MSFT did pretty good too. Theirs works out to just over 4% per month for over three years!
Greylock, averaged over 8% per month over the course of 5+ years
Accel Partners even better-- over 9.5% per month for over six years.

If you invested $1406 when Accel did, you'd be sitting on a million now!

G

lol, facebook isnt worth shit. Have you noticed a lot of ridiculous IPO "valuations" going around lately? Seems like this will become the new bubble, people making absurd valuations for stock on invisible company's, buying it all up like a bunch of idiots, then dumping it for the local businessmen and housewives who think they've struck rich, invest their life savings, go broke and collapse all over again. Same fad new color.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
I think they were articles right on this site in the last week or two-- independent companies come up with estimates of 300M active users, averaging about 6 hours of use per month with 2000 page views each!

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
[citation][nom]acadia11[/nom]I hate you Mark Zuckerberg, no really, I do, I'm kidding.[/citation]

Well, he did call us dumb f**ks.

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
[citation][nom]tomrippity02[/nom]One of these days numbers will come out that put everything into better perspective... What do they consider an "active user"? How many of those active users actually use the site daily and how many of the users are the ones inflating the usage statistics? Currently, all we can do is take Facebook at its word.. their word isn't worth 70 Billion to me. Not when there are companies like Google out there who are actually making the world a better place and turning a profit at the same time. I'm with a previous poster that companies this valuable should be more life changing.[/citation]
True.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
[citation][nom]faceback[/nom]lol, facebook isnt worth shit. Have you noticed a lot of ridiculous IPO "valuations" going around lately? Seems like this will become the new bubble, people making absurd valuations for stock on invisible company's, buying it all up like a bunch of idiots, then dumping it for the local businessmen and housewives who think they've struck rich, invest their life savings, go broke and collapse all over again. Same fad new color.[/citation]
You're an idiot.
Advertizers pay millions of dollars every month to advertize to the millions of users on facebook. That means facebook is making millions of dollars every month from thousands of advertizers.
The valuation right now may be much closer to right on than you think... but you are right about 1 thing... if everyone was to stop using facebook their advertizing revenew and thier stock would drop hard and fast. So the whole value of the company is based on it's advertizing ability, which means if people were to abandon facebook for a better version/different website the company wouldn't be worth jack in a split second because they don't have much for tangable assets and it would look like a bubble bursting. But right now, its not likely overvalued.

ABC
CBS
NBC
FOX
Google
All of the companies above are filthy rich. What do they do? advertize... Facebook and Google don't have the overhead costs it takes to make a TV show like paying actors for example. But at the same time Google and Facebook actually have more users than most TV shows get for viewers....

secretxax

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]If you watch ads on TV you start to see a trend, instead of the blurb followed by the website address at the bottom of the screen you see the Facebook logo.

Facebook is slowly becoming the defacto place to have your webpage, the same way all vaccuum cleaners are Hoovers, all search engines are Google and all MP3 players are iPods.

Once a billion people are on Facebook and it starts to push more services all it needs to do is gently nudge in a particular direction and it could bulldozer through anyone, lets just hope they don't go "evil"[/citation]

LOL

G

advertisers are paying lots of money to advertise on facebook, but has anyone here actually clicked on an ad, let alone purchased a product or service due to an ad? i don't think i've clicked on a single ad in the 6+ years of using facebook...

IMHO, advertisers are overpaying to advertise on facebook, and it's only a matter of time before they realize that...

Status
Not open for further replies.