mr-terrible1959

Estimable
Oct 31, 2014
I tried to do a factory restore. My system would only read 3% of the disk. How can I do a factory default reset without the disk. The Alt F10 does not work either. sorry my system is the Acer Aspire 5517

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009

Is it a brand name laptop (i.e. lenovo, dell, etc)? If so, a lot of them have the recovery software/utility installed on the actual hard drive, try searching your C drive (or it may be on a separate partition) for keywords like "recovery". Sometimes you can access recovery media by pressing a certain function key during startup, it varies between different manufacturers IIRC... is that the alt F10 you're referring to? If it's not working try holding alt f10 BEFORE powering the laptop on, and continue holding it after hitting the power button

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009

Try holding alt + f10 BEFORE powering on the laptop and continue holding them down after pressing the power button and see what happens.

Are you able to boot it up normally? If so the recovery software should be installed on the hard drive, search for "recovery" and see if you can locate a recovery utility of any kind

mr-terrible1959

Estimable
Oct 31, 2014

mr-terrible1959

Estimable
Oct 31, 2014
When I put in the recovery disk to reinstall it completes the first 4 sections and then the restore progress stops at 3% and will not proceed past that point. I have nothing there to search from just the white restore box in the center of a Black Screen

mr-terrible1959

Estimable
Oct 31, 2014
When I put in the recovery disk to reinstall it completes the first 4 sections and then the restore progress stops at 3% and will not proceed past that point. I have nothing there to search from just the white restore box in the center of a Black Screen