Fake Google Play App Uses Infected Phone to Launch DDoS

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]LORD_ORION[/nom]They probably invented it.[/citation]
You're likely right.

One of the ways these malware apps get spread isn't neccessarily on 3rd party app stores, but on Android forums. Just a couple of days on the Phandroid forums for my phone model, someone was requesting the APK of the Google Play app. Had the person responding been someone who wanted to spread this malware, the person wanting it would have got the infected version, all the while assuming they were getting a good link from a respected Android community.

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
As you can see, this is clearly an anti-Google pro-Apple article. The virus was probably made by Dr. Web, sponsored by Apple who also paid this pro-Apple editor to write this article and post it on pro-Apple website Tom's Hardware. WE'RE NOT FALLING FOR YOUR TRICKS!!!!!!

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]reprotected[/nom]As you can see, this is clearly an anti-Google pro-Apple article. The virus was probably made by Dr. Web, sponsored by Apple who also paid this pro-Apple editor to write this article and post it on pro-Apple website Tom's Hardware. WE'RE NOT FALLING FOR YOUR TRICKS!!!!!![/citation]
I see the iHaters have become extremely paranoid, and this isn't even a Zak Islam article.

Hate to break this to you, but Linux, and OS's like Android based on Linux, are vulnerable to malware. They are the perfectly safe little gardens that the blind fans have always claimed.

acerace

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
[citation][nom]reprotected[/nom]As you can see, this is clearly an anti-Google pro-Apple article. The virus was probably made by Dr. Web, sponsored by Apple who also paid this pro-Apple editor to write this article and post it on pro-Apple website Tom's Hardware. WE'RE NOT FALLING FOR YOUR TRICKS!!!!!![/citation]

The most stupid thing today.

Supercrit

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
I thought Apple fanboys were scary, unless this is a trolling attempt or sarcasm.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
The sarcasm is strong with this one...

G

I've summarized the facts for all of you in the article:

1. You would have to use some shady 3rd party Russian app store and intentionally install this "virus"
2. It has nothing to do with Google Play other than borrowing the icon from it
3. It's possible to write such a "virus" for any platform
4. This may not even be real, rather just a marketing ploy to sell you antivirus for you phone

A far cry from the tradional Windows virus that can infect you're PC just from the act of visiting a website without even installing anything, or having the PC plugged into the internet.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]fakkchekk[/nom]I've summarized the facts for all of you in the article:1. You would have to use some shady 3rd party Russian app store and intentionally install this "virus"2. It has nothing to do with Google Play other than borrowing the icon from it3. It's possible to write such a "virus" for any platform4. This may not even be real, rather just a marketing ploy to sell you antivirus for you phoneA far cry from the tradional Windows virus that can infect you're PC just from the act of visiting a website without even installing anything, or having the PC plugged into the internet.[/citation]
1. Not true. People on Android forums are always giving links to each other for APK's to be downloaded from, not neccessarily app store web sites. On the Phandroid forums the other day someone asked for the Google Play APK. Had someone wanted to distribute this malware, all they have to do is send a link to download it from and voila, they have the malware. And people trust each others far to much on these forums because they think of themselves as a tight knot community.

2. Very true, but that doesn't take away from the risk and possible damages.

3. Also true, but the blind fan kiddies of Linux and it's OS variants such as Android still scream Linux is perfectly secure.

4. This to is a distinct possibility, or perhaps the malware is real and they made it. However, looking up Dr Web they do seem to be a legitimate antivirus company that even made the discovery of the Flashback malware on the Mac, so I would say this is likely a real threat they didn't make, but are using it to help market their own product, which isn't a bad thing as all antivirus and malware protection software makers use any sort of malware as a way of saying "Hey, we can protect you against this".

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]I see the iHaters have become extremely paranoid, and this isn't even a Zak Islam article.Hate to break this to you, but Linux, and OS's like Android based on Linux, are vulnerable to malware. They are the perfectly safe little gardens that the blind fans have always claimed.[/citation]

Can you name me one single virus that has infected a Linux personal computer in the real world?

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]Tomtompiper[/nom]Can you name me one single virus that has infected a Linux personal computer in the real world?[/citation]
Virus.Linux.Diesel.962
Virus.Linux.Kagob.a
Linux.Backdoor.Rexob trojan

Oh, sorry, that was more than one.

Yes, there are fewer Linux viruses than viruses for Windows. Guess why that is? THERE ARE FAR FAR FEWER LINUX USERS. It's not because Linux is this magical secure OS that is can never get any form of malware. It's because malware authors target OS's where they will get noticed and/or can steal information. You can not get noticed or steal information where there are no people. However, just like Mac's got viruses when that system became more popular, if Linux use increases, you will see Linux malware springing forth, just as you see Android malware growing exponentially when Android fan kiddies said that you couldn't get malware on the Linux variant known as Android.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]Tomtompiper[/nom]Can you name me one single virus that has infected a Linux personal computer in the real world?[/citation]

Hmmm create malware for an OS that is used on next to zero PCs or make malware for an OS used on nearly every single PC ever made in the past 15 years?

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]Virus.Linux.Diesel.962Virus.Linux.Kagob.aLinux.Backdoor.Rexob trojanOh, sorry, that was more than one.Yes, there are fewer Linux viruses than viruses for Windows. Guess why that is? THERE ARE FAR FAR FEWER LINUX USERS. It's not because Linux is this magical secure OS that is can never get any form of malware. It's because malware authors target OS's where they will get noticed and/or can steal information. You can not get noticed or steal information where there are no people. However, just like Mac's got viruses when that system became more popular, if Linux use increases, you will see Linux malware springing forth, just as you see Android malware growing exponentially when Android fan kiddies said that you couldn't get malware on the Linux variant known as Android.[/citation]

I asked for real infections, not potential threats, I can find not one single verifiable instance of any of those listed infecting a computer. If you have said information can you link it. As for Android, again lots of scare stories, but only stupid people stealing software via illegal sites will get infected, and slap it up them, they deserve what they get.

Status
Not open for further replies.