fan setup for notebook, need advice

aspri

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
Hi,
i'm looking to add to my notebook a fan under it to cool it. The fan is large enough to hold steady the notebook so I won't need to add any support. Now as I'm doing this I want to be sure that cool air would be drawn by the fan. Can I just make some cuts on the side of the fan. I mean there's the fan itself and the sqaure plastic holding it. If I make some cuts for cool air would that still work?

aspri

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
hey thanks for the reply. I think the OP wasn't clear enough. I've the fan that I took form an old PC case. Now the fan is (for example) on a table and the notebook is on top of the fan. My question is fresh air can't be drawn from air since it's stuck between the table and the notebook?
Now cutting hole is for letting fresh air get to the fan and blown to the notebook...Just a guess though.

You are going to balance a laptop on a fan? Is it a large one? Unless you are not typing on it, that won't work, plus most case fans would be so small you will need several of them to cool enough parts of the laptop. That is why those laptop coolers use 2-4 fans. I don't think it will pull in air from the sides very well. You may be able to cut the bottom part plastic out a bit, kinda of bevel the bottom instead of cut slots in the sided, so there is space between the fan and the desk in a U shape.

You should just get a small desk fan and blow it at the laptop vents, that would probably work better. I though you have a large fan that would fit underneath. I worked on a laptop that kept shutting off or crashing due to heat, even at light use, I just blew a small fan on it and it was stable enough to run for hours while I did a data backup on it.

aspri

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012

It's a notebook, it's really small and the fan I have is large enough to have it stable on it.
BTW I'll level up the fan form the table by putting some small parts of whatever can fit. Thanks for the answers though

You mean a netbook? like a 10" screen? Those should run very cool anyway, are you having issues with it overheating? You may want to check the vents and fans to make sure they are clean and working. Even with a fan blowing on it, too much heat can cause small stress cracks in the motherboard and other parts that will eventually crack though and kill the system.