Faster processor or faster harddrive

abelle

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
buying a computer, just need a simple answer about whether I should opt for the faster processor or harddrive

which will be worth it?

thanks

Joshbad

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009

The faster processor is defiantly more worth it then the faster hard drive. It would make much more of a difference.

Joshbad

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009

This may be true, but the difference between a 5400 RPM and 7200 RPM hard drive is barely noticeable. Faster start up times may be provided and a faster copy and paste time, but only slightly. Whereas the processor has an effect on everything you do on a computer and speeds up just about everything. But i suppose if all the computer was going to be used for was storage of files the hard drive could be a better choice, but usually there used for games, movies and other uses.

frozenlead

Distinguished
The CPU has an effect on everything you do - but if the movies and such were limited by the HDD I/O, then getting a better CPU would have no effect. Upgrading the CPU will only make the machine faster if it's the limiting factor, which, in many cases upon loads of programs (which happens a lot) it is not.