Father Speaks Only Klingon Until Son Turns Three

Status
Not open for further replies.

HibyPrime

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
He would have developed it as his native language if he kept going, you can't just stop randomly.

That said, theres a point where an experiment becomes cruel. This kid is going to have issues when he's a little bit older about his father raising him as an experiment.

bfstev

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Cant wait to have kids so i can perform sociological experiments on them.

My question is, is he a trek fan?

mook33

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
hmm...now if only someone would do the same experiment with the ancient languages of Cthulhu & the Old Ones...
That would be one scary kid.

apr01

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Speers decided to see what effect it would have on his son if he spoke Klingon, and only Klingon, around him until he was three years old. The reason? -- Cuz he's a massive choad!javascript:%20void(0);

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
ummm... last knew, the Klingon language was invented by a human, thus it is a human language. It is no different than Elvish or French for that matter. FAIL!

G

"MinnesotaDaily cites Speers, who actually isn't even that big of a Star Trek fan, as saying..."

How can you not be a big star trek fan, but know enough Klingon words to speak only that language? sounds like he is coming out of the nerd closet via his son

insaneclowngod

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
[citation][nom]bfstev[/nom]My question is, is he a trek fan?[/citation]

[citation][nom]IN THE ARTICLE[/nom] MinnesotaDaily cites Speers, who actually isn't even that big of a Star Trek fan, as saying....

sstym

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
You shouldn't teach Klingon. Here are some words without any equivalent in Klingon:

-Dating
-Social Life
-girl
-Semprini

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Languages developed from not having a word for something and trying to describe it. Because of this when we say something in English, its more natural for a baby to learn it since its similar to how their instincts would describe it.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
It doesn't matter how much you sing me a song in a different language. I won't learn a single word and it's meaning in that language. You need to learn to associate the word with an object or action, hence holding up objects to your baby and saying the word of what it is. If this guy did not realize that, he is simply an idiot.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]ssalim[/nom]Nerds should not have any offsprings.[/citation]
Hehe, yeah... wait a sec... wouldn't that also include us?

soul555top

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
While I will agree that speaking in only Klingon as an adult will effect your social life, I fail to see how having Klingon spoken to you as a baby will impact your adult life in any way.

I cant speak from experience here, but from what I have seen, many Trekkies have great social lives. There is a huge active community for people who enjoy it and I am assuming they are very happy with it. Looking down on people who have different interests than you is so childish.

Also, if he did grow up to be a Trekkie and spoke Klingon fluently, I am sure he'd be a big hit with the Trekkie ladies. Jus' sayin.

Status
Not open for further replies.