Faulty Dual Core? XP will only install with ACPI Uniprocessor HAL

kiboy6

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
I just picked up a HP DV6812NR notebook. It has a AMD Turion 64 X2 processor (TL-60, 2.0GHZ). It's a barely used refurb model that the guy was selling because he couldn't get the OS to install. I bought it off him cheaply hoping it was just a software issue.

This model has an IDE hard drive so there was no need to slipstream SATA drivers into my XP install CD. However the XP install would not work right away. It successfully formatted the partition and copied files, but would hang after the installation reboot.

After a bit of research I tried selecting a different HAL by pressing F5 as the XP setup loaded. Funnily enough if i selected ACPI uniprocessor PC, the installation did complete. However unsurprisingly, XP then only saw one processor in task manager, and performance seemed just a little funky.

Does this suggest a bad processor? If so that wouldn't be the end of the world as I could probably pick up another TL-60 for around $100. Even cheaper I could pick up a Turion 64 X2 TL-50 (1.6 GHz). Any reason that lesser processor wouldn't work in this machine? What would the performance hit be like if this notebook is to be primarily used for watching movies and surfing the net?

Thanks so much in advance to anyone who can advise me on this :)

kiboy6

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
After a bit more research I'm realizing that changing the processor on these things might be rather tricky...from the probs I've described do you think it's definitely an issue with the processor, or could it be something else?

kiboy6

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
BTW, the processor is correctly identified in the BIOS. Also, I'm using an XP installation disc with SP2, and I've tried with Vista installation CD too...similar story. With the Vista installation CD it gives a blue screen STOP error message 0x0000007E.

Any ideas?

cheaptofix

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
well usualy that error relates to drivers, either to do with hard disk, video card but nothing to do with processor. it does have a bit with the bios so I think either the laptop you're trying to install isn't compativle with XP but again you have the same issue with vista..so try this

set the bios to defaults.
use a diffrent hard drive
use a diffrent RAM (as low as possible) or change its location
disable (raid) from bios

see what happens..vista has many problems with ram, yesturday i had same issue as yours with installing vista 64bit many forums said to me its the DVD drive but in the end it was the ram I used only 1 stick of 1gb ram and it worked perfect then when finished I put the 5gb left and its running perfectly.