FBI: Check For DNS Changer or Lose Internet Access

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
[citation][nom]lp231[/nom]I don't use the internet.[/citation]

Let me guess, you live in Soviet Russia where Internet uses you... >.>

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]Murissokah[/nom]Because criminal activities target those systems?[/citation]How about the billion dollar companies involved solve their own problem? It's not a national security issue so there's no justification for more corporate welfare.

jurassic512

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
[citation][nom]shafe88[/nom][/quote]What happened to Macs, I thought they where worry free when it came to this type of stuff, and what about Linux, Oh wait no need their is none(very few) of this type of stuff in Linux land, cause people have too much respect for Tux.[/citation]

Respect my ass. More like Linux has MUCH less market share than even Mac users to make it worth while for hackers.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]balister[/nom]Let me guess, you live in Soviet Russia where Internet uses you... >.>[/citation]

Advertisements, phishing and similar attacks, tracking efforts such as Google... I'd say that you don't need to be in Soviet Russia for the Internet to use you.

damian86

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Why they won't just leave us alone with their stupid things, 'they want this' 'they want that' they are going to...' 'they want to control the internet' just leave us alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Murissokah

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]How about the billion dollar companies involved solve their own problem? It's not a national security issue so there's no justification for more corporate welfare.[/citation]

So Microsoft and Apple should form a team and storm a datacenter in Estonia?

fonzy

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
I swear to God they are the ones who created the DNS Changer trojan for this very purpose. This Country is run by cowards and traitors.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]Murissokah[/nom]So Microsoft and Apple should form a team and storm a datacenter in Estonia?[/citation]How about they just fix their software. Saves a whole lot of travel (not that they can't afford it).

nhat11

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
[citation][nom]bananaman8910[/nom]Here ya go folks! Let the threat of losing your internet service persuade you to allow a government website to scan your computer! Then, sign up for a social networking site to willingly give them every other bit of information about you! Don't worry, they would never abuse such information.[/citation]

Or, you know, maybe it's as simple as reformatting your computer to get rid of the virus.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
I hate how there is a lack of information on how the executable part of this makes its way onto your system. Eveything I google or even the site here just points you to software (bleh) to fix or detect the issue or even a website that tells you good or bad without even giving the details. Even though they give the ip ranges for the faux DNS servers, who is to say that they might not stand up new DNS servers?

Anyway, I say get familiary with the device drivers that are supposed to be in your system. In the case of Windows systems, they are the ones in c:\windows\system32\drivers\*.sys. Also on Device Manager, there is a "show hidden devices" setting. Look for anything suspicious (google the various device driver names). I found the following to be bad and related to this DNSChanger infestation (and not on my system):

c:\windows\system32\drivers\ and c:\windows\system32\
TDSServ.sys
TDSSxyz.sys (xyz can be random characters)
msqpdxserv.sys
gaopdxserv.sys
seneka.sys
MSIVXserv.sys
uacd.sys
gxvxcserv.sys
ESQULserv.sys
wdmaud.sys

c:\resycled\bootmatrix.com

Also you can check youir registry for this stuff (look for entries having these device driver namings):
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\
HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\
HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\
HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services\

tufteok

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
You're on top of it .
g.gif

G

Gee, I don't know whether I should follow that FBI link or follow up on that 1000 dollar Walmart gift card. Sounds like phishing in each case.

G

as the FBI seized the DNS Changer servers last year but - - left them up and running so that Internet access isn't disrupted for hundreds of thousands of Web surfers - - .
what a load of rubbish they left them up so they are spy on users.

Status
Not open for further replies.