FBI Not Digging Facial Recognition Technologies

Status
Not open for further replies.

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
They are lying. The nano-cams in my Tim Horton's cup lid have already ID'd me as an addict. I will be one of the first culled. Viva la Technologie.

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
As typical of our corrupt government looking for yet another helpless citizen to throw in to the prison industrial complex. REX-84 cough FEMA camps cough weez and sneezes.

cybrcatter

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
Perhaps the FBI wont be utilizing this technology, but that doesn't mean that the NSA or CIA aren't.

*and rofl@ JofaMang's comment!*

IronRyan21

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
said that other forms of prints, such as palmprints and footprints, could be the next level of identification after fingerprints.
\

Ewwww footprints......whoever has to take footprints....wow, what a smelly job.

yang

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
the fbi just wants us to put our guards down before springing on the criminals like a wild cougar. Just you wait and see

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
If you think about it.. without the "hype" and hopes for how ool facial recognition would be, can you think of a couple of silly lil tricky and CHEAP ways to override facial recognition? How easy to have a picture of that person and create a replica with only the basic features, that matter on the system , more detailed...?

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
we held up a picture of a co-worker to his laptop and it let us in. He was so mad, considering he'd just got it and was really enjoying his bragging rights.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Pshh the FBI makes all the statements and all the public releases. But the CIA does everything that they don't announce through the FBI ^_^

/half serious

Oh and what is this article on the side titled "Identity Thief Caught By Facial Recognition" - 08/26? ....Can't help but wonder XD

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
Nah. I don't think this is true.

Facial recognition as a positive ID abandoned? Perhaps.

Facial recognition to use with traffic cams/photos on the Internet to try and find someone? Hell no, I doubt they're abandoning that.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
without CCTV everywhere facial recongition is kinda pointless. retina scans are the best way compile ID databases. the retina has 1000 times more unique info than a fingerprint. and it can be done without physical contact, or dirty fingertips. facial recognition will still be developed for camera surveillance, obviously that will still hold some interest for the FBI.

G

I would imagine it's quite easy to thwart a facial scanner with prosthetics and/or make up. Or how about getting a shiner on Sunday night at the bar, then being unable to log in at work the next day! d'oh!

mi1400

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
And they say its not mature...
This guy had 10 IDs and no system could detect but an updated facial software caught when 11th time other systems were beaten.
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Identity-Thief-Facial-Recognition-Software,news-4509.html
"CBS2 said that Helms was finally caught when he entered the Hobert License Branch to acquire his 11th ID on August 14th. Helms provided all the necessary documents to prove his (fake) identity, and even sat down to take the photo. What Helms didn't anticipate was that the photo went into the BMV's new face recognition software. Unaware that he had been discovered, Helms left the building with his new ID."

Status
Not open for further replies.