FCC to Review Cell Phone Radiation Standards

Status
Not open for further replies.

megajynx

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Call me paranoid, but anytime I use any data intensive app on my Droid 4, it feels like my hand is getting microwaved. I'm glad to see something is being done and I hope the FCC will produce results.

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
[citation][nom]megajynx[/nom]Call me paranoid, but anytime I use any data intensive app on my Droid 4, it feels like my hand is getting microwaved. I'm glad to see something is being done and I hope the FCC will produce results.[/citation]

You're paranoid. Radio =/= Micro.

If you start believing you might be sick with a disease, you'll start to feel like you really have the symptoms of that disease, This works the same way.

When you have a to make an important call and you're on the phone for half an hour, you hang up and you're thinking about that important thing, that microwave sensation isn't even on your mind is it? It's only when you're focusing on the notion that Cell Phones are toxic.

Police Officers should be dropping like flies from the radiation because they've got radios stronger than your cell phone beside their head nearly 12 hours a day!

amdwilliam1985

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
It's better to be safe than sorry.
I like them to review the standards. Technology changes at the speed of light, standards set in 1996 might not be proper for 2012.
Also, what kind of conditions are they're being test under? Instead of only showing results in optimal situation, I like them to show studies with typical environment and the worst case environment.

The fact that people have 3g/4g(LTE/HSPA+), wifi, gps and cellphone reception on all the time also poses a concern for me.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]megajynx[/nom]Call me paranoid, but anytime I use any data intensive app on my Droid 4, it feels like my hand is getting microwaved. I'm glad to see something is being done and I hope the FCC will produce results.[/citation]
Paranoid

Even if you were getting a focused beam of the highest level of output from a cell phone, you couldn't feel it.

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
excessive heat from the battery etc is the only thing you need to be worrying about

pseudoscience seems to have taken hold of TOMS a there aren't any scientifically credible studies linking electromagnetic radiation to cancer...

all in all --> Fail... for promoting pseudoscience on a tech site

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]thecolorblue[/nom]excessive heat from the battery etc is the only thing you need to be worrying aboutpseudoscience seems to have taken hold of TOMS a there aren't any scientifically credible studies linking electromagnetic radiation to cancer... all in all --> Fail... for promoting pseudoscience on a tech site[/citation]
Did you read this article? Your comment suggest content in the article that is not there. This article here reported on the FCC's plans. Should TH not report news on topics you don't like certain aspect of? Of course sufficient levels of RF exposure cause cancer. This is a known fact. The question is what is a safe level. This article reports on the FCC's plan to study this again after a 16 year hiatus. Specifically, "the new investigation was not triggered by any specific issue or study" Sounds open minded to me. Maybe your "Fail" applies closer to home?

pjmelect

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
I thought that Cell phones causing cancer has been well and truly put to rest. The rate of brain cancer in the past twenty years has remained stable where as in the same period cell phone use has increased many times, and if you want to look over a even longer period, you only need to look at the cancer rates of radio hams many of whom have had very high exposure and RF burns. The rate of cancer in radio hams is the same as it is for the general population. I wonder about the motivation of people who go on about the risk of exposure to radiation from cell phones. Perhaps it is the word radiation that makes people alarmed, cell phones only emit NON-ionizing radiation.

ko888

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
[citation][nom]thecolorblue[/nom]excessive heat from the battery etc is the only thing you need to be worrying aboutpseudoscience seems to have taken hold of TOMS a there aren't any scientifically credible studies linking electromagnetic radiation to cancer... all in all --> Fail... for promoting pseudoscience on a tech site[/citation]
You're the biggest FAIL of all.

X-Ray radiation is electromagnetic radiation and is definitely known to cause cancer if the dosage is excessive.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]demarest[/nom]...I repeat: There is no radiation emitted from cellphones.[/citation]
Really? Don't you find it annoying dragging around that wire you have connected to your phone? Or do you just have one sided conversations (listening only). Exactly how do you think your voice/data gets from your phone to the cell tower? Fairy whispering? In a forum where the stupidity level of the comments is quite high, this comment stands out even well above that stupidity level. You're in first place!

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]beardguy[/nom]Next look into that shitty scanner I have to go through at the airport ... thanks FCC.[/citation]
Yeah. FCC, FAA, TSA who's counting? (FCC responsible for airport security? LOL) It is always important to post a rant before thinking. It provides great entertainment!

G

Everything emits radiation of some type and plenty of it is electromagnetic, even your own body, but it is only certain frequencies and intensities that cause a problem, which smart/cell/etc-phones are well within the bounds of.

If you fill a small closet with smart phones and turn them all on and have them under heavy load you will probably die of heatstroke from the cumulative thermal output than you would any of the service frequencies.

There was a study of power-line workers who are exposed to huge amounts of electromagnetic radiation on a daily basis and showed to have a below average rate of cancers.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]Hipster Catfood[/nom]....There was a study of power-line workers who are exposed to huge amounts of electromagnetic radiation on a daily basis and showed to have a below average rate of cancers.[/citation]
That study was about power line workers' exposure to magnetic fields. You do know the difference between RF radiation and magnetism, don't you?

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Any attempts to reduce radiation is good, as long as the reduction attempts are not going overboard or will interfere with the functionality and evolution of wireless handhelds.

Status
Not open for further replies.