FCC Wants Gigabit Internet Communities Nationwide by 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmileyTPB1

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
The only problem with this is that the internet providers usually don't want to provide premium bandwidth unless they can charge a premium price.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Yeah, we've heard this before. Considering the FCC is nothing more than the ISP/Cable/Tele Co's lobby group, I don't think anyone believes these clowns.

raidenfox123

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
These kinda speeds won't be possible by the majority of ISP providers without major network overhauls to fiber. This would cost billions and realistically wouldn't happen, or would take 10+ years to accomplish. Hell for this reason Verizon Fios has stopped building there network out, cost was greater then what they were getting back in. Don't get my wrong I would love to see this happen but in reality one can't be so optimistic with what we have now.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
[citation][nom]raidenfox123[/nom]These kinda speeds won't be possible by the majority of ISP providers without major network overhauls to fiber. This would cost billions and realistically wouldn't happen, or would take 10+ years to accomplish. Hell for this reason Verizon Fios has stopped building there network out, cost was greater then what they were getting back in. Don't get my wrong I would love to see this happen but in reality one can't be so optimistic with what we have now.[/citation]

I've got fiber to the premise here. There is only Cat 5e from that point on. They could provide that kind of speed to my community already but the quickest I'll see from ATT Uverse is 18Mb. That's because they don't care to increase it until they get more profitable build outs done.

twelch82

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
While I am all for gigabit internet, rather than creating mandates about speeds and locations, I'd rather see them make rules that enhance competition and cause providers to end up providing gigabit speeds on their own as a result of competing with other broadband providers.

phantomferrari

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
[citation][nom]raidenfox123[/nom]These kinda speeds won't be possible by the majority of ISP providers without major network overhauls to fiber. This would cost billions and realistically wouldn't happen, or would take 10+ years to accomplish. Hell for this reason Verizon Fios has stopped building there network out, cost was greater then what they were getting back in. Don't get my wrong I would love to see this happen but in reality one can't be so optimistic with what we have now.[/citation]

First off, most ISP's do run on a fiber optic network. Just not all of them go to the house/premises. Second, The newer iterations of DOCSIS can support 1Gbps, So the excuse that ISP's will have to spend a great deal of money to make 1Gbps work wont fly.

The reason why there isn't a big push for 1Gbps is there is no need for it yet. However, with more and more companies push digital distribution (at least video games) and with the most likely rise of 4K video (which Netflix and others will want to stream) there will be a greater need to have 1Gbps internet connections

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
ISP: "Gigabit?"

FCC: "Yup"

ISP: "Well, we do have a gigabit connection, though it only hits that speed for only a few seconds every day. Rest of the time it's less than 50 megabits per second."

Customers: "..."

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
The problem isn't the technology. The reason Google had to build there own network is that most of the Telecom companies are owned by greedy crooks who only upgrade networks when they need to spend money for some other reason. Google figured the only way to get reliable internet in the US is to build it themselves. Give it 10 years when Google has Gigabit to nearly every house that the government that's here to protect "our" interests will look into "anti-competitve" practices because everybody likes cheap, reliable, fast internet.

Future Gigabit Add:

Now with Gigabit Speeds!

Small print

$19.99 for the first six months, $149.99 + one child + one limb every month thereafter. Gigabit speeds only guaranteed for 2.5 nanoseconds a month. A limit of 2 MB a month applies, once you've reached this limit your speed will drop arbitrarily to speeds were you might as well break out your old 1800 baud modem. 2 year contract, early termination fee equal to Federal Deficit applies for ending contract early.

(Then again this kinda looks like a lot of cell phone contracts today)

raidenfox123

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
[citation][nom]phantomferrari[/nom]First off, most ISP's do run on a fiber optic network. Just not all of them go to the house/premises. Second, The newer iterations of DOCSIS can support 1Gbps, So the excuse that ISP's will have to spend a great deal of money to make 1Gbps work wont fly. The reason why there isn't a big push for 1Gbps is there is no need for it yet. However, with more and more companies push digital distribution (at least video games) and with the most likely rise of 4K video (which Netflix and others will want to stream) there will be a greater need to have 1Gbps internet connections[/citation]

I realize that, running it to the house is another animal, and ya sure current DOCSIS could do gigabit connections but the amount of bonded channels needed would wither at the limited capacity of there coaxial network. Under the current 6Mhz wide 256 QAM modulation per channel, conservatively I would say you could get a maximum of 25Mbps/per channel. So that would require 40 6Mhz wide channels a total of 240Mhz on a network that probably doesn't even surpass a max frequency of 900Mhz! That's a lot of real estate

ToKiiNz

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
i still have 3mbps dsl i wish i could get cable internet but then i'd lose HD and i watch more tv then computer screen

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
I'd be happy with something like 12 mbit at a decent price, we have it in my area now but you pay a premium for it, heck I'm paying $40 a month just for 1.5 mbit low latency DSL.

mydrrin

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012
Lets say it cost 100 Billion to upgrade everyone in the US. Who would do it when they make just as much as anyone will pay already. They have maximized the amount people will pay for tv/internet, the 10 or so billion the profit a year it would take ten years with no profit which is what no CEO will do for little gain.

There either needs to be mandate and financing for the federal/state/local authorities to push the payment for buildout to 10 - 15 years. Without both these things it will not happen.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
The problem preventing it here is the monopoly by Time Warner Cable for cable based broad band and AT&T for ADSL/DSL broad band......... I think our state government needs to rip up the contracts they have with TWC and say go fend for your selves.

10Gbit Ethernet will be in homes in about 5 years, at the data center level CISCO successfully tested 100Gbit ethernet back in 2011 and when I move into my next home, it will have Cat 7 10Gbit copper already wired in the walls.

G

This is a little thing called government regulation, it's where government tells big business that they have to do something that will benefit everybody, and threatens them with punishment if they'd rather just continue milking consumers for all they're worth while providing inferior services.

Anybody who complains about the "big mean, anti-business government" ought to have their head examined...

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]obama2016[/nom]Anybody who complains about the "big mean, anti-business government" ought to have their head examined...[/citation]

Nah, just set their home internet connection to dial-up mode, and install a software on their phone to also restrict the connection bandwidth.

Actually, that would be fairly lenient.

FORCE THEM TO USE AOL DIALUP SERVICE! (and throw in a free 500 hour CD to sweeten the bitterness)

Status
Not open for further replies.