Solved! Feedback/low frequency hum on ATH 40x from PC but on on other devices

bobowitz

Honorable
Apr 7, 2015
I recently bought used ATH M40x headphones and they work great with my phone and laptop, but when I plug them into my desktop PC either with a USB adapter or directly into the audiojack or motherboard, I get a low frequency hum.

When I use my apple headphones or my old pair of headphones, Sennhieser HD 201, I get a much quieter hum without a USB adapter, but none at all with the USB adapter. Do I need a new sound card?

Solution
The M40x don't come with a USB sound card, what are you using? Yes it sounds like your sound card is getting interference from the system but it's a bit odd that you get the same noise with the USB card you are using since that should isolate the audio hardware from whatever the issue in the case and motherboard is.

bobowitz

Honorable
Apr 7, 2015
The M40x don't come with a USB sound card, what are you using? Yes it sounds like your sound card is getting interference from the system but it's a bit odd that you get the same noise with the USB card you are using since that should isolate the audio hardware from whatever the issue in the case and motherboard is.

This is the sound card I am using:

TROND External USB Audio Adapter Sound Card with One 3.5mm Aux TRRS Jack for Integrated Audio Out & Microphone in, Do Not Work for TV or Car

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L56C28R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, I have a Asus Prime Z390-P motherboard. I have read some threads that share similar problems as mine, but it is strange this does not occur with my other audio devices.

Solution