Fighting off Search.US.com browser hijacker

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ATP_1

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
Have been hit by search.us.com browser hijacker malware.

Have performed
removal of search.US.com via the control panel, & Malwarebytes quick & full scans. Unfortunately the malware still runs.

Based on previous advice here

http://tinyurl.com/lfb78xe

I think that I need to make some adjustments to my Firefox browser shortcut. It has been suggested that I right click my shortcut, & delete the target--in this case, what is the target?? Where specifically do I find it?

If this doesn't work, then I think I should try Adwcleaner.

Again, if this doesn't work, I think that as last resort I should try via the FF search reset--is this the same as affecting the firefox.js file?

Some I have read have described the .js file alteration as the 'nuclear option'. How extensive is the loss of data when utilising this option?

Thanks

ATP_1

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
I am afraid that I spoke much too soon. The solution that i had for the OP lasted but a very short time. That is why i said that i would wait a week to verify that the solution _was_ a solution.

Not only was the solution to the OP momentary, but in actuality, things have taken a turn for the worse. The initial browser issue has not been solved, nor has the supplementary problem of the disappearing shortcuts. Now, as well, all my internet shortcuts no longer work. Everyone (n=18) that is pressed provides the message "application not found".

I don't know what I have done, but this is now I feel a very big problem. It is now a 3 part problem-the browser, & the OS (disappearing shortcuts, total incapacity to operate with the internet).

aford10

Distinguished
Right click on one of the shortcuts that isn't working, and click properties. Look at the path file it's pointing to. Then go to the start menu, click on computer, and then manually browse to the location it says the program is installed at. Is the program still there? Can you launch it from there?

ATP_1

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009

I have two columns within the folder sitting on my desktop- column 1 is of internet shortcuts, while column 2 is of shortcuts for applications installed on my HDD.

All 18 internet shortcuts have ceased working. As for shortcuts for applications installed on my HDD, the applications are still there, & I believe that I can launch the application from C drive. Quite a number of these applications appear unaffected, & can launch from the shortcut.

My main concern is the internet shortcuts as I am no longer able to access either these applications/site or the internet per se.

aford10

Distinguished
Right click on one of the internet shortcuts, and click properties. On the general tab, is it a .url or .htm type of shortcut? If it's a .htm, it should have an option to change what program opens it. If that's the case, you would simply need to change that default.

If it's a .url, then you may simply need to change your default browser, or set the program associated with .url file types.

ATP_1

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009

From the best that I can determine, all shortcuts are of the .url variety. Having said that, changing my default browser appears not an option, as
I would need to utilise one browser to be able to change to another, correct? This in turn is based on the assumption I can access the internet via that computer. Not as far as I can best determine.

How does one "set the program associated with .url file types?"

aford10

Distinguished
Go to the control panel-->default programs-->set associations-->scroll down the list to .URL, select it, and click the change button-->click browse-->browse to the location of the internet browser you would like to open those shortcuts with. Make sure the box is checked to 'always use the selected program to open this kind of file.'

ATP_1

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009

Tried this 2x. Thing I noted on the 2nd attempt were that the choice was limited to IE, & that the box to be checked was ticked, but greyed out. Also, tried again after switching the computer off then on. Same result. No luck.

ATP_1

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009

I selected the browse button.

Then I am taken to C drive>program files.

Here the only browser (application) listed/shown is IE.

When I open the file folder, I find 2 folders [ (i) en-US & ii) signup]
& 3 applications [ i) ieinstal.exe ii) ielowutil.exe iii) iexplore.exe ]

ATP_1

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009

After selection, I then pressed 'open' and was then taken back to the 'browse' window that that showed the initial choice of browsers.

I noticed that the IE icon had changed. It had now changed to a white page document icon. I closed this window, & then tried the internet shortcuts. Result unchanged as before.

I then repeated the exercise, only this time I opened iexplore via the function 'open as administrator'.

Then, I had come up a screen of FF browser site, permitting me to download/ undertake a fresh install of FF browser...

I also noticed that IF I was to do this with the FF browser, then examination of the search engine/facility shows the following:

search.us (default)
BING
DAEMON search
My Web Search
Search
Yahoo

The troublesome sites are search.us.com. DAEMON search & My Web Search.

You could edit that IE shortcut to open the file iexplore.exe rather than the direct link to a dodgy website which it probably does now. I can't see how Firefox opens when you click te IE .exe file - something may need reinstalling there.

If Firefox has search engines you don't want, type about:config into the address bar then accept the "Here be dragons" warning. Use the Edit menu to search for each one you want to lose and just delete it when it shows up.

ATP_1

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009

i) How do I go about editing the IE shortcut? If the FF browser opens when I click the IE.exe file, would editing the IE shortcut still be useful?

ii) When you say something may need reinstalling, are you referring to the OS or something else?

You right click the Shortcut and go to Properties then edit the line named Target then either type in the location of the file iexplore.exe or browse to it in Programme Files. At least then the right programme will open. Make sure the Firefox icon goes to Firefox - if it doesn't open properly, it may need reinstalling.

ATP_1

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009

I went to iexplore.exe in the Program files, & with a right click, created a shortcut that automatically contained the location of the file iexplore.exe in the Target window.

This I moved from the desktop to the folder containing the above mentioned shortcuts.

As to your mention of the FF browser, I have _no_ FF browser in the Program files, but _do_ have an FF application I removed from the C drive, along with 2 FF shortcuts (1 removed from the desktop, 1 removed from Programs). They are now in the Recycle bin.

I am unsure if this would have any bearing on the iexplore.exe opening up to a new FF browser or not.

In summary then what I have is the following-

i) only IE browser listed in set file associations browse section

ii) IE browser in the Program files

iii) despite these conditions, I manage to open the FF browser via the IE browser.

I suspect that a FF reinstallation is required. Given the problem as mentioned, how do I undertake a clean reinstallation, if this is the correct expression?