Secure-surf.net Redirect Interfering Browsing Session

ProblemUnresolved

Prominent
Apr 26, 2017
So, I got adware on my computer. And, I'm having a lot of difficulty trying to resolve the issue. I went through countless of articles explaining how to remove this thing, but none of it is working.

The first thing that happened was a site called www.launchpad.org came up as my homepage, I got rid of that by removing from the target field under properties. I thought my problem was over, but then I noticed that when I would click in the browser, for example in Youtube I would pause a video click to look in my files and when I would click to un-pause a new browser would open to some odd site.

So, I went and downloaded Malwarebytes and scanned, nothing showed up. Then I went and scanned with Windows Defenders, just to try, nothing showed up. At first, I thought it had went away after re-installing my browsers and restarting, as clicking back in the browser wouldn't trigger a new page to open, but every now and then I will open a new tab start tying in the search bar and it redirects me to "Secure-surf.net". Now, I'm using a the block site extension which redirects to google, so that I don't accidentally search in the browser. Don't know if that helps, but I've exhausted every option.

I've searched through registry logs, search through programs by the control panel and entering the folder myself to find any suspicious programs. Yet, there is nothing. I looked through the task manager to see if anything weird was running, nothing. I installed Adwcleaner and it found the launchpad.org adware, but it hasn't located and removed the "Secure-surf.net" adware.

I really don't want to restore my system back to factory settings, but at this point I don't know where to go to find this thing. It seems like it's non-existent, but it keeps showing up.

I'm sorry if this is too lengthy or unhelpful, but I'm not very knowledgeable in computers.

ProblemUnresolved

Prominent
Apr 26, 2017

I've looked at all these guides, but the problem is that there is no physical program that I can find on my computer. I've checked. I've looked at extensions nothing there. I've run scans. What do I do?

J_E_D_70

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Find your lmhosts file (might have to show hidden files). Open in notepad and search for any strings not preceeded by a hash (#) sign. List any you find there - shouldn't normally be *any*. Redirectors can hide there.

ProblemUnresolved

Prominent
Apr 26, 2017

Sorry, could you explain how to go about this?

ProblemUnresolved

Prominent
Apr 26, 2017

Okay, I found it on my own, no lines without (#) preceding it.