Danielle_1

Estimable
Aug 26, 2015
I upgraded to Windows 10 but once I did, I couldn't open file explorer. It crashed whenever I clicked on the icon. So I went back to 8.1 - decision was also based on the fact that I didn't realise you had to pay for Windows 10 after a year of having it.

When I went back to Windows 8.1, the problem persisted. I have tried windows updates and scans and still no luck. I can access files through making an email attachment, microsoft word and my music on itunes still plays - but I cannot access through file explorer. Every time I try it crashes.

I tried to do the scan via command prompt (as an administrator) as suggested but the problem still persists. I want to remain with Windows 8.1 so I need a fix on this software, not a fix for Windows 10.

Another issue I had was when trying to create a shortcut to desktop of a file, the screen kept crashing, so I cannot have desktop shortcuts at the moment either.

Solution
"Clean Install" is another word for complete re-installation without retaining any of your data (personal) files. This is not an "Upgrade" or a "Repair"install.

Before any type of install, a complete backup to an external disk is highly recommended! Frequent and regular backups to an external disk are very important!

danny2000

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
I'm guessing that some files got corrupted during the upgrade process.
I would suggest doing a clean installation of Windows 8.1 and make sure that it is activated.
Then do the Windows 10 upgrade.

sixbone

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
I partially agree with Danny.

Clean install is your best option. I believe you can go straight to Windows 10 once you've upgraded from 8.x-10. Your installation key should now only work in W10.

OS upgrades are pure garbage and should be avoided at all costs. Clean installs are the best option.

Good Luck

danny2000

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010

Yes, you can do a clean installation of Windows 10 once you've verified that your Windows 10 is activated. So, if the user's Windows 10 was activated, then he could just create a USB install via the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft.

MathewThomas420

Estimable
Sep 3, 2015
Hello Mr. Danielle,

Thank you for using Toms Guide. We're glad to help you with your computer issue. I understand that the File Explorer crashes occasionally in your newly upgraded Windows 10 PC.

Let me tell you the File Explorer contains several shell-extensions, also called as, right-click options, that are displayed when you right click a file/ drive in File Explorer. There are two types of shell-extensions: 1) System registered 2) App-specific. The former are registered by Microsoft Windows Operating System during its installation; and the latter are registered by Microsoft and Non-Microsoft software programs. The File Explorer crashes due to one or more problematic shell-extensions. It is hard for me to figure out exact shell-extensions without having list of all them here in forum, so I would like to request you to follow instructions in this article to learn deleting problematic shell-extensions. Remember, a system reboot might be required so as to save up the changes and reflect them after next log-on.

Thank you. I hope this helps.

Danielle_1

Estimable
Aug 26, 2015
Thanks for all the responses - just to confirm though that I do not have Windows 10 - I upgraded to it, but then downgraded back to Windows 8,1. So I am seeking a fix for Windows 8,1.

This may seem like a silly question, but what do you mean by a 'Clean Installation'? Do you mean that I have to wipe my computer to factory settings?

Danielle_1

Estimable
Aug 26, 2015
Thanks for all the responses - just to confirm though that I do not have Windows 10 - I upgraded to it, but then downgraded back to Windows 8,1. So I am seeking a fix for Windows 8,1.

This may seem like a silly question, but what do you mean by a 'Clean Installation'? Do you mean that I have to wipe my computer to factory settings?

"Clean Install" is another word for complete re-installation without retaining any of your data (personal) files. This is not an "Upgrade" or a "Repair"install.

Before any type of install, a complete backup to an external disk is highly recommended! Frequent and regular backups to an external disk are very important!

Solution