files changed to .losers extention

btdavision

Prominent
Oct 31, 2017
Hello all of my files changed to .losers file extension and I can't access any of them can anyone help me restore my files? I've tried a lot of different things

Solution
If this is actually the .losers ransomware....you are almost certainly OUT OF LUCK.

https://www.pcrisk.com/removal-guides/11834-losers-ransomware
"Unfortunately, there are currently no tools capable of restoring files encrypted by Losers - the only solution is to restore files/system from a backup."

In looking around the interwebs, all I've seen are really sketchy sites that claim to be able to decrypt those files.
I am NOT nearly brave enough to download and install one of them to see what it actually does. Not even into one of my isolated VM's.

See that sig pic to the right? ----------------------------->
That applies....

cherry blossoms

Commendable
Apr 13, 2016
You are going to need to remove the ransomware. A clean wipe and reinstall of your OS is recommended. Ransomware often deletes itself after encryption so security researchers can't get ahold of it to examine, but not guaranteed.

You can try McAFee's ransomware unlocker tool, but, I do not believe there is an unlock tool available.

https://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/free-tools/ransomware-decryption.aspx

The following site may help you identify a particular variant:

https://id-ransomware.malwarehunterteam.com/

If no decryptor exists, you can backup the files and hope for a solution in the future. None is guaranteed.

beyteydavision26

Prominent
Dec 5, 2017
I did everything. I tried to manually change the extentions back to .jpg, .mp3, etc, but the files still don't work. Please help I know there is a way to get the files back working again. I have important work files that were changed to .losers extention. Various video, music and other files. Please help. I had to back up the .losers versions of the files to external hard drive and did a clean install of Windows now I'm trying to change back the .losers files on my external hard drive. Thank you

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
If you Google the title of your thread, there are quite a few topics regarding this ransomware, so it must be fairly common. You will not get the files back by simply changing the extension. Have you been asked to pay for the decryption key? No backups of important files prior to the malware infection?

You still haven't confirmed whether or not you were the victim of a RansomWare attack. If you were, there are plenty of sites online that can help you try and restore your files (Google ".losers extension"). If not, then trying any of these steps may cause more damage than good.

-Wolf sends

beyteydavision26

Prominent
Dec 5, 2017
I didn't get the chance to see if anything asked me for any money. I looked online at plenty sites. Can someone please get me a file decrypted for this please or some way to get my files back. Important work is being held up

You're not getting it. There are a LOT of things you can TRY to do. Those options I pointed out when I instructed you to Google ".losers extension". The resulting sites tell you how to get rid of the ransomware virus as well as options for recovering your data. They may work, they might not. I can't say for sure as I've never had need to try any of them.

If important work is being held up, then I suggest you start reading.

-Wolf sends

[strike]If a definite solution existed, I would have pointed that out from the get go.[/strike]

Sorry. Definite answer: Roll back your computer using a restore point created prior to contracting the ransomware or recover your files from a backup you made prior to contracting the ransomware.

-Wolf sends

USAFRet

Illustrious
If this is actually the .losers ransomware....you are almost certainly OUT OF LUCK.

https://www.pcrisk.com/removal-guides/11834-losers-ransomware
"Unfortunately, there are currently no tools capable of restoring files encrypted by Losers - the only solution is to restore files/system from a backup."

In looking around the interwebs, all I've seen are really sketchy sites that claim to be able to decrypt those files.
I am NOT nearly brave enough to download and install one of them to see what it actually does. Not even into one of my isolated VM's.

See that sig pic to the right? ----------------------------->
That applies....

Solution
Go into Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services. Check if Volume Shadow Copy is in the list and its Start setting is set to Automatic or at least, Automatic Delayed Start.

If it is, there may well be copies of you files which were unaffected by the Ransomware attack.