Finally! Skype Announces Android Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsbsbsbs

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Agreed needs to be compatible with E buddy. There's nothing worse than running multiple IM software. Hope they iron out the issues with the Galaxy S soon!!!

Jerky_san

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Soo.. I'll just be the first to say this.. Hasn't skype been out for android since forever ago? I mean I have it right now on my phone.. Is it like for a certain carrier or something?

beriguu

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
I hope Android version doesn't get the issue that iPhone 3GS with iOS4 running Skype on background has. The issue drains the battery in about 6 hours. Typical standby time when not running Skype in the background and not using 3G is 5-6 days on one charge.

rmmil978

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
[citation][nom]peanutsrevenge[/nom]Outstanding, great job Skype.Another reason I can be glad to not be American. Not having Skype over 3G makes it pretty pointless.[/citation]

Interesting you say that. Verizon introduced a Skype Application months ago that was ONLY over 3G, and everyone bitched about not being able to do it over WiFi, making it "useless." Now it's available over other Android phones on Wifi, and people bitch that it's not available over 3G, making it "useless." Some people complain just to complain....but here is reason enough to switch to Verizon : On Verizon smart phones, you can now do Skype over 3G OR Wifi. No more bitching!!

CTPAHHIK

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
[citation][nom]rmmil978[/nom]Interesting you say that. Verizon introduced a Skype Application months ago that was ONLY over 3G, and everyone bitched about not being able to do it over WiFi, making it "useless." Now it's available over other Android phones on Wifi, and people bitch that it's not available over 3G, making it "useless." Some people complain just to complain....but here is reason enough to switch to Verizon : On Verizon smart phones, you can now do Skype over 3G OR Wifi. No more bitching!![/citation]

Verizon does not use 3G for skype. It makes a circuit switched call and not data call. How do you get Droid to work on WiFi?

i7Rocks

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
[citation][nom]peanutsrevenge[/nom]Outstanding, great job Skype.Another reason I can be glad to not be American. Not having Skype over 3G makes it pretty pointless.[/citation]

uh using skype over 3g seems pointless to me considering that when I have 3g on my PHONE I can use my PHONE to make calls. Using it over wifi is nice at my house where I dont get great reception. Guess its a preference thing but I could care less about skype over 3G.

Hunter844

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]Jerky_san[/nom]Soo.. I'll just be the first to say this.. Hasn't skype been out for android since forever ago? I mean I have it right now on my phone.. Is it like for a certain carrier or something?[/citation]
On Verizon...I guess this article is misleading since it's not talking about specific carriers.

Is Skype only good for Skype to Skype calls? I don't know anyone that uses Skype so it's teh suxxor for me.

namram

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
"tested on HTC Desire" my foot! on mine, I wasn't even able to log in. I can see comments on Market saying it stopped working on other people's Desires. not to mention the humongous size of installation and lack of SD card support. this one clearly still needs some work. I'll just go back to Nimbuzz

Status
Not open for further replies.