Finding additional memory stick.

Clifford L Sanford

Estimable
Mar 25, 2019
I want to install a second memory stick in a Toshiba Satellite. I have no past experience doing (shopping) this. The manual indicates it uses ( 4GB DDR3 1333MHz (max 16GB}. Is this all i need to look for to get a compatible stick? Can I put a larger 8 gb into the open slot. The pc already has a stick that's identified as a Kingston. Can the sticks in this PC be from a different maker. What specs do I need to know to determine if a a stick will work in a specific PC before I buy. Tnx

Best thing to do is see if you can find the same model and brand of RAM that system already has. If not, and you are not sure, you can go to Kingston site and plug in your laptop model in their memory finder.

Clifford L Sanford

Estimable
Mar 25, 2019
Thanks for your input. A check of the Kingston website just made the problem worse. The memory identified as being compatible has a part number that is completely different than the number shown on the Kingston memory that was sold with the PC. A search of the web showed that the memory was a Samsung model, not Kingston. Assuming that both companies have a workable memory for this PC, nothing exist to indicate that it's OK to install memories from different companies together into any PC. A check of the Toshiba website for support seems to be nonexistent. All I found was their vague .pdf listing the PC's specifications. I could not find anything about the memory makers name or part number.

In addition the websites indicates that the Pc's maximum memory capacity is 16 gb. They don't actually say that its a max of 16 gb per PC or each slot. All other sources seem to state that it may not be possible to use a 8 GB to a 4 GB memory, thus you can only have a PC with two 4 GB memories, likewise with two 8 GB memory. The Kingston had suggested another memory, but it was discontinued. It's numbers did not match the memory already in the PC. I have to wonder if it's possible to find any memory to add to the second slot.

Part numbers will change, if you can't find the exact same one, it does not mean the other memory sticks listed won't work. What you want to try to match is the memory speed and CL timings.

For size of sticks, the PC max is that, PC max, not per slot. I suggest getting another 4gb stick for the laptop to run in proper dual channel mode instead of mixing memory sizes.