Fire TV audio

cmward23wow

Prominent
Sep 8, 2017
I just cut the cord and purchased a Fire TV. I have a Sony Bravia KDL-46X-BR2 and a Yamaha RX-V659 receiver (both pretty "old" I know..). The Yahama is old enough that has no HDMI ports. Fire TV into TV's HDMI-1, and optical audio out from Receiver into TV. When I have the TV tuned to my OTA, I get surround sound from my Yamaha. But when I switch to Fire TV I get no audio from Yamaha. Can someone help me with what I am missing?

cmward23wow

Prominent
Sep 8, 2017

cmward23wow

Prominent
Sep 8, 2017
Thank you so much. I will try those ideas. I can tell by your answer and your other posts that you seriously know your stuff. Can I ask you one more? In my set-up on another TV, I have these components: - Samsung TV (with 2 HDMI ports), an Onkyo A/V Receiver (with 3 HMDI), and X-Box One and now am removing the DVR and replacing it with a Fire Stick. I know I am probably missing something obvious, but I have both the X-box and the A/V Receiver with HDMI to the TV, so I don't have a port for the Fire Stick. The xBox has to have hdmi video to the TV, right? So should I do this:
Xbox hdmi to TV hdmi; Firestick hdmi to TV hdmi, then optical audio from TV to A/V receiver?